Refused SDP due to no fixed abode help! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused SDP due to no fixed abode help!

Options
nikkif
nikkif Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
Hi all I am on income based ESA and recently been awarded standard rate care component pip( which I am appealing) I lost my flat due to my illnesses and have been sofa surfing with friends and family doe over 2 years. However I have no partner none claims carers allowance or and I am alone
 I meet the requirements for sdp but when I applied for it they used my correspondence address for checks and I was told that I dont count as living alone.. I've tried o ind the rules to this but it doesn't seem to make sense. Was hoping someone might be able to help. 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @nikkif
    I am sorry to hear you are having such a tough time, it sounds really difficult for you. 
    Shelter are a charity that work with homeless people and they have a helpline if you'd like to speak to them.
    Helpline 0808 800 4444 - Talk to an expert housing adviser if you're in urgent need of housing advice.

You should use this line if:

• You have nowhere to sleep, or might be homeless soon
    • You have somewhere to sleep, but nowhere to call home
    • You are/could be at risk of harm
    • You feel very overwhelmed about your housing situation

Our helpline is open every day of the year:

• 8am - 8pm on weekdays
    • 9am - 5pm on weekends
    I have also asked our @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your post and see if they can help at all.

Good luck and thanks for sharing, I hope we can help.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • nikkif
    Options
    Thank you Sam. Any advice and help will be greatly recieved.  I have no idea where to even start. Thank you. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    Options
    If you have been living with family or friends then I'm afraid you will be classed as living with someone therefore not entitled to SDP, if you find a place to live alone then you would be entitled, are you on your local councils housing list or housing associations?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• nikkif
    Options
    No I'm not on any lists as apparently I dont meet the criteria. I'm really at a loss at what to do. My health is so bad and it's really affecting it badly both physically and mentally. 
  • nikkif
    Options
    The point really is though that I'm not actually "living" anywhere. I stay nights at peoples places but im mostly alone while they go about their normal lives whether it be work or out etc. Friends and family eventually get sick of having a sick person curled up in the corner of their room somewhere. I'm constantly struggling have to pay for the amenities I use. Beg for help or be completely useless and unable to take care of myself. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The point is though that you are living in a place with other people, dont get me wrong I'm on your side, Sam mentioned Shelter I would strongly recommend that you contact them for advice. SDP is something that would be nice to get when you qualify but a place to call your own must be your number one priority x
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• nikkif
    Options
    Thank you. I will speak to shelter there is nothing more than I would like than to have a place where I can rest, and try to get well. 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    So sorry to hear you're having to live like this. My council has to house homeless people who have a disability. I don't know if that's the case for all councils. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/council_housing_association/who_can_apply_for_council_housing

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    hi @nikkif When staying with friends you are not unfortunately entitled to the SDP, unless you are staying there on a commercial basis (such as a formal lodger/joint tenant etc).  Likewise if you convince the DWP you are "without accommodation" this too means you do not get any premiums so that would not help either I am afraid.  I would suggest following the advice above and then as soon as you have accommodation you ensure you contact the DWP to get your SDP sorted out.  With very best wishes, Sarah
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.