What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Refused SDP due to no fixed abode help!

nikkifnikkif Member Posts: 50 Courageous
Hi all I am on income based ESA and recently been awarded standard rate care component pip( which I am appealing) I lost my flat due to my illnesses and have been sofa surfing with friends and family doe over 2 years. However I have no partner none claims carers allowance or and I am alone
 I meet the requirements for sdp but when I applied for it they used my correspondence address for checks and I was told that I dont count as living alone.. I've tried o ind the rules to this but it doesn't seem to make sense. Was hoping someone might be able to help. 


  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @nikkif
    I am sorry to hear you are having such a tough time, it sounds really difficult for you. 
    Shelter are a charity that work with homeless people and they have a helpline if you'd like to speak to them.
    Helpline 0808 800 4444 - Talk to an expert housing adviser if you're in urgent need of housing advice.

    You should use this line if:

    • You have nowhere to sleep, or might be homeless soon
    • You have somewhere to sleep, but nowhere to call home
    • You are/could be at risk of harm
    • You feel very overwhelmed about your housing situation

    Our helpline is open every day of the year:

    • 8am - 8pm on weekdays
    • 9am - 5pm on weekends
    I have also asked our @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your post and see if they can help at all.

    Good luck and thanks for sharing, I hope we can help.
    Senior online community officer
  • nikkifnikkif Member Posts: 50 Courageous
    Thank you Sam. Any advice and help will be greatly recieved.  I have no idea where to even start. Thank you. 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,429 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    If you have been living with family or friends then I'm afraid you will be classed as living with someone therefore not entitled to SDP, if you find a place to live alone then you would be entitled, are you on your local councils housing list or housing associations?
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • nikkifnikkif Member Posts: 50 Courageous
    No I'm not on any lists as apparently I dont meet the criteria. I'm really at a loss at what to do. My health is so bad and it's really affecting it badly both physically and mentally. 
  • nikkifnikkif Member Posts: 50 Courageous
    The point really is though that I'm not actually "living" anywhere. I stay nights at peoples places but im mostly alone while they go about their normal lives whether it be work or out etc. Friends and family eventually get sick of having a sick person curled up in the corner of their room somewhere. I'm constantly struggling have to pay for the amenities I use. Beg for help or be completely useless and unable to take care of myself. 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,429 Disability Gamechanger
    The point is though that you are living in a place with other people, dont get me wrong I'm on your side, Sam mentioned Shelter I would strongly recommend that you contact them for advice. SDP is something that would be nice to get when you qualify but a place to call your own must be your number one priority x
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • nikkifnikkif Member Posts: 50 Courageous
    Thank you. I will speak to shelter there is nothing more than I would like than to have a place where I can rest, and try to get well. 
  • WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 949 Pioneering
    So sorry to hear you're having to live like this. My council has to house homeless people who have a disability. I don't know if that's the case for all councils. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/council_housing_association/who_can_apply_for_council_housing

  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    hi @nikkif When staying with friends you are not unfortunately entitled to the SDP, unless you are staying there on a commercial basis (such as a formal lodger/joint tenant etc).  Likewise if you convince the DWP you are "without accommodation" this too means you do not get any premiums so that would not help either I am afraid.  I would suggest following the advice above and then as soon as you have accommodation you ensure you contact the DWP to get your SDP sorted out.  With very best wishes, Sarah
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.