claiming benefits — Scope | Disability forum

claiming benefits

wsr Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, i work in production in a busy factory working 9 hours a day . I have been struggling for a couple of months with work . This is the second week that ive been off work . I know my job isnt suitable but if i give my job up will i be able to claim benefits.  Thanks in advance 


  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @wsr :)
    I am sorry to hear this, please use our benefits calculator, to see what benefits you can claim. You have any questions, please let us know.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wsr
    Welcome to the community, as Antonia says, you can fill out the benefits calculator. It would also be good for you to speak to your employer about this, perhaps they could offer some reasonable adjustments? 

    Employers must make reasonable adjustments to make sure workers with disabilities, or physical or mental health conditions, aren’t substantially disadvantaged when doing their jobs.

    Reasonable adjustments include:

    • changing the recruitment process so a candidate can be considered for a job
    • doing things another way, such as allowing someone with social anxiety disorder to have their own desk instead of hot-desking
    • making physical changes to the workplace, like installing a ramp for a wheelchair user or an audio-visual fire alarm for a deaf person
    • letting a disabled person work somewhere else, such as on the ground floor for a wheelchair user
    • changing their equipment, for instance providing a special keyboard if they have arthritis
    • allowing employees who become disabled to make a phased return to work, including flexible hours or part-time working
    • offering employees training opportunities, recreation and refreshment facilities

    Get help and advice

    You can get advice on reasonable adjustments from the Disability Employment Adviser (DEA) at your local Jobcentre Plus office, or the Disability Employment Service if you’re in Northern Ireland.

    You can apply for Access to Work if you need extra help.

    There’s more detail about employers’ obligations and how to meet them on the Equality and Human Rights Commission website.

    Senior online community officer


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.