scared, wish I was dead over esa reassessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

scared, wish I was dead over esa reassessment

Zenkoblue
Zenkoblue Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
Hi again 

I am still worried about my esa reassessment.I so need home assessment no way I be able get down there. I am also think more about kill myself and panic I got wait from mon to wed for gp get letter sorted about get home assessment and posted it. I so scared going thought assessment way they treat you etc it always been bad. 

Not it sure where else to turn and talk too.

Comments

• miracle
    miracle Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Hi @Zenkoblue, just read your post. These reassessments are a worry for us all. I have recently been for a ESA assessment myself. It is always best to take someone with you, who knows exactly how you feel. Another thing to do, is to take a copy of the ESA50 form that you filled in. This will help you, in answering some of the questions, that they put to you. Just remember, that they are there to see how you are, and glean information of how you feel, and how you function, from day to day. When you go to your assessment, try and be as calm as you can. This is easier said than done, but you will not do yourself any favours by being agitated. If you go with confidence, you will get over to the assessor, how you really feel, and how different things affect you, in your day to day activity. If you go there.all worked up, then you will forget to convey the important points, that you need to get over to the assessor. I hope that you can go with confidence. I wish peace be with you, to try and stay as calm as possible. If it is of any comfort to you, i tried to commit suicide 20 years ago, after i had a complete nervous breakdown. It took me 2 years to come through this nasty experience, but i came through it. I am glad i did not take my own life, as things got a lot better for me, after this experience. Life will eventually get better for you, if you can stay calm and positive. I wish all the very best, and may peace be with you. Keep us posted, and if you need to talk, we are always here to support you.
  • Zenkoblue
    Ty so much I feel so scared what might say at reassessment also I so need home assessment as me and my mam who would go with me so bad health just have wait next week
  • Silver925
    Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
    Hi Try not to worry too much and don't read too many horror stories online as most people go online for a moan. People with anything good to say rarely post it online. I read too much of this and it made me I'll as I suffer from anxiety depression ocd. Take a relative or friend who knows you well they can also provide evidence as they see you day to day. Just tell assessor everything you can about your illness disabilities etc and copy esa50 form in case you forget what you put. Just be consistent and don't hold anything back out of embarrassment. Cry if you feel you need to they look at how you behave and your actions as well as what you say. It all goes down on assessors report. Good look.
  • Zenkoblue
    Ty yeah so many horrible story it just so worried I hope get home assessment due to me and my mam find hard get out. Weird last time I got home visit sort of they never turn up which was weird. So not sure what happen this time.
  • overthinkingagain
    overthinkingagain Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    @Zenkoblue I completely understand the dread of the assessment having gone through the process of reassessment myself. I have anxiety depression and ocd and coping with change is a huge trigger for me. If it helps, i made a diary of my day to day routine which helped give an idea of how my condition affects me, and did a covering personal statement as I knew I would be unable to focus and concentrate in the assessment so this was something to refer to, I wrote everything down I wanted to say and gave it the the HCP for her consideration explaining that i anticipated being unable to communicate due to
    my condition. It will be a challenging day for you, just take every day as a step closer to getting this behind you. The assessor i saw was very understanding and helped to calm me whilst remaining focused and she did a lot of the work in there whilst i shook, cried and went blank a lot. I asked for the ESA85 a few days afterwards to give me an idea of what to expect. As @Silver925 said your body language etc is noted in the report and helps to build a true picture of your struggle. I wish you all the best. 
  • Silver925
    Don't go to the assessment looking too well groomed dressed too smartly wearing make up etc it will give the impression you are more in control and can cope better than you actually can. Wear something casual or as you would at home. If they think you have it together when you don't this will give them a false impression of you. They also use things like too much eye contact against you. Don't lie but don't give them any excuse to think you can cope better than you actually can it all goes down on there report
     The Decision Maker will use this to make there decision. Do let them come to the wrong one. Good Luck.
  • Deb_Alumni
    Deb_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 180 Pioneering

Hi @Zenkoblue

I am sorry to read your post and how concerned and worried you are, you are a member of our community and we appreciate you.  Some of the members have responded to you and I hope that has helped reassure you?

Your post is of concern to us and if you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. 

You say you have no-one to talk to, you could try to call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org who are trained to help.

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself:

If you feel that you may be any immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

Sincerely,

Debbie 

Scope Community

Debbie
    Online Community Manager
  • Silver925
    Hi again if you do go to assessment Center you can ask for it to be recorded. DWP will provide this most assessment centers have these facility's. You must ask in advance though when you get your appointment as they probably won't oblige on the day. I might give you some peace of mind that the assessor won't try to say you said anything you didn't. It is very important to let them see how you really are some people try to look fine out of embarrassment. You'll never see them again so it dosnt really matter if you make a fool of yourself in front of them they must see all sorts of things. You will stand a better chance of getting the right result and the benefits you deserve.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Silver925 said:
    Don't go to the assessment looking too well groomed dressed too smartly wearing make up etc it will give the impression you are more in control and can cope better than you actually can. Wear something casual or as you would at home. If they think you have it together when you don't this will give them a false impression of you. They also use things like too much eye contact against you. Don't lie but don't give them any excuse to think you can cope better than you actually can it all goes down on there report
     The Decision Maker will use this to make there decision. Do let them come to the wrong one. Good Luck.
    When you attend an assessment the most important thing is to feel as comfortable as possible. If you normally wear make up or dress smart then that is what you should do. First impressions do count, be yourself. If you dress up or dress down you will not come across as natural and the HCP will pick up on this. Just because you have a disability or condition does not mean that you cannot be confident and relaxed, even though an assessment is a stressful situation.
    If you have completed the PIP2 or AR1 to the best of your ability and you understand what descriptors apply to you and why, then the HCP will ask questions to verify your claim form information. Even if you have done your best, not everything is necessarily clear to another person. You know how your condition affects you, you are the expert on you. Now you need to let the HCP into your life and help them to understand your problems. You are not trying to claim something that you are not entitled to. Be honest, don't exagerate but don't playdown the difficulties you have. Contrary to what you may read on forums like this, HCP's are human and being human does not make anyone perfect
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Zenkoblue
    Wow ty for all advise check up on doctors tomorrow about doctors letter for home assessment also see I can get some help for this depressing it been really bad today.

great advise from everyone just get home assessment be best out come.
  • Singing
    Singing Community member Posts: 135 Courageous
     I tried to go in there as calm and confident as possible because I knew it was so important, but I still got railroaded by them. And they said that because I had good eye contact and I brush my hair and drove that I didn’t qualify for anything. So, I would just really focus on laying it down to them exactly how bad it really is. Because they used every trick in the book on me  
  • Singing
    Do not trust them at all, even if they try to make you come around to trusting them, do not trust them for one second in any of the assessment at all ever. Even if they smile or even if they make you feel like they are trustworthy. Do not trust them
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Zenkoblue Please do not listen to bad stories about an ESA assessment. My son has just had one with his Dad who cares for him. Nothing bad happened at all and he got put back in the support group. There are good assessors out there who will see your situation and do their best for you. There's no point in worrying about something that might be a lot better than you think. Keep posting you will get a lot of support from people who know what you're going through. x 
  • Zenkoblue
    Ty for all tips I got wait wed afternoon see if my doctor letter sorted plus wait on letter see my date been change try not worry but just have to see what happens
  • Singing
    Do you have anyone who can go with you ? If not, don’t trust them and fight for your own rights - tell them exactly how bad it is - detail and even the very worst of it. And don’t answer yes or no - questions. I ended up saying yes to things I didn’t know what I was saying yes to - remember you don’t have to say anything at all. Answer in the way that YOU want to and not how they want you to. Best wishes 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.