I will not be able to pay rent or council tax or food .what can I do? feeling suicidal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I will not be able to pay rent or council tax or food .what can I do? feeling suicidal

Options
chickhen
chickhen Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Division maker stopping my money .I'm separated from partner .He lives in property which is on market. It's not sold they have proof from estate agent .we have dropped price .I can't make husband do anymore he is abusive .I have spent time in a woman's refuge before.Im on highest pip for mental and physical reasons .they are not helping pay mortgage .I will not be able to pay rent or council tax or food .what can I do 

Comments

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @chickhen welcome to the community.  I’m going to tag in @Sam_Scope to see if she and the Scope Team can assist you.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Welcome to the community @chickhen thank you for sharing this with us. I am sorry to hear this. Have you been in touch with your local CAB to see if they can suggest any support you can get? There's some information on the Citizen Advice website on additional money you can get with PIP, here.

You are a member of our community and we appreciate you.

If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-healthproblems/suicidal-feelings/how-can-i-help-myself/

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

Best wishes,
    Antonia

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @chickhen
    I am so sorry to hear you are having such a tough time, you arent alone and there are people who can offer support.
    As Antonia says, you can speak to the Samaritans and also the CAB, there is also Womens Aid and they have a helpline on 
    0808 2000 247.

You can appeal this decision, we have information on how to do this and some videos that might help.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9eTgNyPo9Q

Im glad you have reached out, I hope that chatting with our members here will be helpful.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo do you have any suggestions please? Thanks.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Chickhen,

I’m not clear why the DWP have stopped your money and would need more information to be able to advise you. It may be that you need to appeal or, depending on the circumstances make a new claim for benefit.

The capital value of the house should be disregarded if it’s up for sale, at least for 6 months and possibly longer.

You really need to get advice as soon as possible - ideally from a local citizens advice or welfare rights team. Staff in the refuge should know who where you can get help with this.

Regards,

Michael
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Audrey_x
    Audrey_x Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I am in a very similar situation. No-one was interested. The authorities don't care. Citizens advice were ok but they weren't getting to the heart of the matter. I contacted my local MP's office and they were fantastic. You must go through your local CAB first so that you are registered with them. I am happy to chat with you if you would like. 

• twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/support-for-mortgage-interest

That will give you the low down on help with a mortgage.
    For a new means tested benefit you will have to pay the first 9 months mortgage before you get the help.
  • chickhen
    chickhen Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you solo much for your help .would you believe the decision maker phoned me herself .She said she tried to co text me before letter was sent due to mental illness..She was so helpful and understanding .the house has been up 4 years .but when you have an abussive partner it's not black and white .I would have had to go back to my home .but she understood gave me 3 months more .tI phone my husband and found out 2rd veiwing on sat .then phoned back to say she had talked to someone else and managed to get me six months .So they are human after all .I was poilte and apologize for mentioning my suicidal feelings .but you just can't help it .It's uncontrollable I was homeless from the age of 15 .and the thoughts of not paying my rent scares me .all done now hopefully. But  thank you all so much xxx sometimes strangers are the best friends you can have ???
  • Audrey_x
    Audrey_x Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi, so happy for you. This must be such a relief. Stay strong! 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @chickhen, thank you for updating us all, I'm glad things have worked out! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @chickhen thank you for letting us know, I am really happy to read this. Please keep us updated. All the best. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.