I will not be able to pay rent or council tax or food .what can I do? feeling suicidal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I will not be able to pay rent or council tax or food .what can I do? feeling suicidal

chickhen Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Division maker stopping my money .I'm separated from partner .He lives in property which is on market. It's not sold they have proof from estate agent .we have dropped price .I can't make husband do anymore he is abusive .I have spent time in a woman's refuge before.Im on highest pip for mental and physical reasons .they are not helping pay mortgage .I will not be able to pay rent or council tax or food .what can I do 


  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Member Posts: 711 Pioneering
    Hello @chickhen welcome to the community.  I’m going to tag in @Sam_Scope to see if she and the Scope Team can assist you.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    Welcome to the community @chickhen thank you for sharing this with us. I am sorry to hear this. Have you been in touch with your local CAB to see if they can suggest any support you can get? There's some information on the Citizen Advice website on additional money you can get with PIP, here.

    You are a member of our community and we appreciate you.
    If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at [email protected]
    You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-healthproblems/suicidal-feelings/how-can-i-help-myself/
    If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.
    Best wishes,

  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chickhen
    I am so sorry to hear you are having such a tough time, you arent alone and there are people who can offer support.
    As Antonia says, you can speak to the Samaritans and also the CAB, there is also Womens Aid and they have a helpline on 
    0808 2000 247.

    You can appeal this decision, we have information on how to do this and some videos that might help.

    Im glad you have reached out, I hope that chatting with our members here will be helpful.
    Senior online community officer
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo do you have any suggestions please? Thanks.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi Chickhen,

    I’m not clear why the DWP have stopped your money and would need more information to be able to advise you. It may be that you need to appeal or, depending on the circumstances make a new claim for benefit.

    The capital value of the house should be disregarded if it’s up for sale, at least for 6 months and possibly longer.

    You really need to get advice as soon as possible - ideally from a local citizens advice or welfare rights team. Staff in the refuge should know who where you can get help with this.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Audrey_x
    Audrey_x Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, I am in a very similar situation. No-one was interested. The authorities don't care. Citizens advice were ok but they weren't getting to the heart of the matter. I contacted my local MP's office and they were fantastic. You must go through your local CAB first so that you are registered with them. I am happy to chat with you if you would like. 

  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Connected

    That will give you the low down on help with a mortgage.
    For a new means tested benefit you will have to pay the first 9 months mortgage before you get the help.
  • chickhen
    chickhen Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you solo much for your help .would you believe the decision maker phoned me herself .She said she tried to co text me before letter was sent due to mental illness..She was so helpful and understanding .the house has been up 4 years .but when you have an abussive partner it's not black and white .I would have had to go back to my home .but she understood gave me 3 months more .tI phone my husband and found out 2rd veiwing on sat .then phoned back to say she had talked to someone else and managed to get me six months .So they are human after all .I was poilte and apologize for mentioning my suicidal feelings .but you just can't help it .It's uncontrollable I was homeless from the age of 15 .and the thoughts of not paying my rent scares me .all done now hopefully. But  thank you all so much xxx sometimes strangers are the best friends you can have ???
  • Audrey_x
    Audrey_x Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, so happy for you. This must be such a relief. Stay strong! 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,578 Scope online community team
    Hi @chickhen, thank you for updating us all, I'm glad things have worked out! :)
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @chickhen thank you for letting us know, I am really happy to read this. Please keep us updated. All the best. :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.