Esa to Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa to Universal Credit

Options
fuzzy
fuzzy Community member Posts: 29 Connected
Hi 
Im looking for some information about moving from ESA to Universal credit im in a support group and i get pip i need to claim uc to claim housing element has anyone else had to do this and has it made them worse off im hearing lots of stories most bad 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello have you checked to see if you are claiming PIP and a low earner or income are you entitled to housing benefits??
  • fuzzy
    Options
    Hi Yes i have been told that i can claim housing benefit but because i live in a uc area i would have to claim uc 
  • clouty
    clouty Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Unless you get the Severe Disability Premium, sadly that's right.  All areas are UC now.  

UC are getting better at transferring ESA group status - on UC the Support Group is called LCWRA - and UC pays a bit more than ESA but there's no premiums, and due to new legislation people with SDP are protected and can apply for housing benefit under the old system - see here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/10/regulation/2/made

Under the 'Universal Credit' (transitional provisions) Act 2014, regulation 19, your EESA Support or WRAG group status should be preserved and translated to UC as the 'LCWRA' or 'LCW' element.  It's the equivalent of the Support Group  or the WRAG on UC. To get your ESA status transferred to your new UC claim, UC have to ask ESA to confirm your entitlement and once that is done you will get the LCWRA element added to your universal credit.

Whilst they are doing this they usually ask for a fit note. But you shouldn't need to do this regularly once your status has been transferred.

• fuzzy
    Options
    Thank you for your help 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.