Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Esa to Universal Credit

Im looking for some information about moving from ESA to Universal credit im in a support group and i get pip i need to claim uc to claim housing element has anyone else had to do this and has it made them worse off im hearing lots of stories most bad 


  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,284 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello have you checked to see if you are claiming PIP and a low earner or income are you entitled to housing benefits??
  • fuzzyfuzzy Member Posts: 29 Connected
    Hi Yes i have been told that i can claim housing benefit but because i live in a uc area i would have to claim uc 
  • cloutyclouty Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Unless you get the Severe Disability Premium, sadly that's right.  All areas are UC now.  

    UC are getting better at transferring ESA group status - on UC the Support Group is called LCWRA - and UC pays a bit more than ESA but there's no premiums, and due to new legislation people with SDP are protected and can apply for housing benefit under the old system - see here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/10/regulation/2/made

    Under the 'Universal Credit' (transitional provisions) Act 2014, regulation 19, your EESA Support or WRAG group status should be preserved and translated to UC as the 'LCWRA' or 'LCW' element.  It's the equivalent of the Support Group  or the WRAG on UC. To get your ESA status transferred to your new UC claim, UC have to ask ESA to confirm your entitlement and once that is done you will get the LCWRA element added to your universal credit.

    Whilst they are doing this they usually ask for a fit note. But you shouldn't need to do this regularly once your status has been transferred.

  • fuzzyfuzzy Member Posts: 29 Connected
    Thank you for your help 
Sign in or join us to comment.