Has anyone actually been given a refund yet and how long did you wait to receive this money? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone actually been given a refund yet and how long did you wait to receive this money?

lynn1976
lynn1976 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi
Just wondering if any1 can help me. I received a letter saying that I may be owed some backdated payments. I am disabled and have been getting esa contribution based benefit,  i am in the support group. Previously i was claiming incapacity benefit.I had a phone call today regarding a brief form I filled in a couple of weeks ago, as requested by dwp. The man from dwp said that I will be paid what I am owed within 12 weeks. I didnt think to ask how much this payment would be. The letter said they were looking at my benefits from 2013 up until now. I am still currently receiving contribution based esa. Has any1 actually been given a refund yet and how long did you wait to receive this money?

Thank you.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @lynn1976 welcome to the community :) You may want to call the DWP to see how long the wait may be.
  • lynn1976
    Thanks Antonia.... I think I will just wait. Cannot bear the thought of calling. Fills me with anxiety just calling that number! Lol.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @lynn1976, have you received any further paperwork from them? They should send you a letter detailing the amount they owe. 
    Do keep us updated and let us know how you're getting on. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • mikky
    mikky Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    hi @lynn1976 yes i got paid the money i was owed it was from the period of 2012-2017 but when they looked into it i was only due backdated money for just over one year as my wife then claimed carers.
    from filling the form in over the phone to receiving payment was 14 weeks for me but the dwp did lose evidence i sent in.
    i received £3600 or there abouts.
    from what i could gather it was for people that never received the severe disability premium which they should of got as long as no one was claiming carers for them at the time.
    i believe the sdp is around £65 pw.
    good luck.
  • lynn1976
    Thank u all. I really have no idea about this refund. So I shall just be patient and wait. I will let u know when I hear back from them. Thank u for your responses. Ps I did receive disability premium for about a year, I was receiving high rate dla indefinitely..... only 2 b taken  off of this a year later after assessment... my health issues had actually declined I had new diagnosis,  I do not know how they came to the decision! Nor did I have the energy or support to fight the decision at the time....  I have never had any1 as a carer for me but luckily, now  I have a good support network : )

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.