Pip consultation report — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip consultation report

cat1932
cat1932 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Dear members

i received a copy of the assessor s report. I am disappointed by her comments she even said ‘she is above average build looks well nourished’ basically she was saying I’m fat. I hold fluid I can’t help it made me feel like crying.Then she says I can wash my hair with one hand  how is that done? I have very long hair and need help with washing my hair.

she has given me two points for managing toilet needs or Incontinence, I use a catheter 6 times a day take 80 mg water pill in the evening so don’t wet in work so I am iincontinent of urine every evening and need help. 

I wasn’t allowed to explain anything at the assessment the assessor kept saying you have already written that in the report my mum was told to sit on the side of the room and stay quiet when she entered the room. Don’t think that’s professional. They sent out a leaflet encouraging us to take someone with us to speak or add info but the hcp obviously didn’t read it 

How is do I challenge the decision  do you still receive payments if you ask for a mandatory consideration 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    If only 2 points are recommended then that's not enough for an award. If no award is given then there will be no payments to receive while requesting the MR.

2 points for a catheter is correct because it's classed as an aid. Unless your mum is your appointee then you would have had to have answered all the questions during the assessment. Some HCP's will allowing prompting from the person that goes with you but this doesn't always happen.

You will need to wait for the decision, once you have this if you're not happy then you have 1 month to request the MR and this should be in writing.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cat1932
    The assessor was very controlling she didn’t let me explain about my bladder etc she said you’ve written it in the form. She lied in her report 
  • poppy123456
    When writing the letter for the MR you should concentrate on where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies.

Try to avoid mentioning any lies because they won't be interested in any of those. Complaints for the report should be sent to the health assessment providers.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cat1932
    Is the health assessment provider Atos that’s what’s written on the assessor s report 
  • poppy123456
    cat1932 said:
    Is the health assessment provider Atos that’s what’s written on the assessor s report 
    Yes, if that's what's on the report. Have you added up the points that are recommended in there? They usually go with the report, it's very rare for them to go against it.
  • cat1932
    I was on enhanced for both until nov 19 had for two years reviewed a year before the end.  She has ticked 1-20 metres for the mobility so that should be okay. She has maybe given me around 8 points I think fo the other component daily living my health complaints are permanent also she says to review in a year and a half why such a short time.
  • cat1932
    She didn’t want to listen to me at all only wanted me to answer what she wanted me to answer kept cutting me off. She had her mind made up assumed thinks.  I don’t know if I will even get the standard rate. 
  • poppy123456
    cat1932 said:
     I don’t know if I will even get the standard rate. 
    Use this self test and put the dots/ticks from the report into it, this way you'll know exactly what score was recommended. It adds them up at the end, so it's easier.

• cat1932
    Poppy thank you for your help I am grateful. 

• cat1932
    poppy I put the assessor s scores into the self test  and only got 9 points 
  • poppy123456
    That would be standard award for daily living. You will have to wait for the decision but they mostly go with the report.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    ilovecats said:
    If you self catheterise or even need a permanent catheter, if you can manage this yourself then B 2 points is the correct descriptor. 
    Isn't that an invitation to, shall I say, expand a little to gain more points?
    How would the assessor know if you can manage on your own or you need someone to help? 
    If it all hinges on what was claimed and what was said at the assessment that's a little dangerous to my thinking.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    ilovecats said:
    twonker said:
    ilovecats said:
    If you self catheterise or even need a permanent catheter, if you can manage this yourself then B 2 points is the correct descriptor. 
    Isn't that an invitation to, shall I say, expand a little to gain more points?
    How would the assessor know if you can manage on your own or you need someone to help? 
    If it all hinges on what was claimed and what was said at the assessment that's a little dangerous to my thinking.
    Not really. Just saying you need help is not enough. There has to be some sort of cognitive, mental health or physical impairment that would stop from being able to manage yourself.
    Ah I see. A little like being a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic. You don't get any points for being able to do your own injections/maintain a record of carbs that you intend to eat. But if you have a cognitive or mental health issue that affects the ability to look after yourself in that way than it is different.
    Wish I had known that when I filled out the last review form. My diabetic control is all over the place, has been for years and I need reassurance and reminding due to mental health issues (which the assessor said that I don't have despite the evidence saying the opposite.

Something to remember for my next review  next year.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.