I realised how little health professionals understand! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I realised how little health professionals understand!

Tazzie
Tazzie Scope Member Posts: 29 Courageous
I am an older lady disabled by botched back surgery after poor care for osteomyelitis of the spine and resultant Fibromyalgia and a whole host of other things now. As a nurse, I thought I understood disability until I was disabled and then I realised how little health professionals understand! I have a lovely assistance dog, and an even lovelier (and nearly as useful) husband. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tazzie welcome to the community! How are you feeling today? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Tazzie
    Tazzie Scope Member Posts: 29 Courageous
    Not a good day to ask LOL but it was lovely to find the site; I came looking for it after speaking to some Scope-folks at Naidex. They were so friendly and understanding, I felt like this could be something positive to do. Thanks for your welcome! I put a picture of my wonderful doggo - she makes such a difference to my body but also my heart. How are you? And, thanks for breaking the ice :)

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning @Tazzie sorry to hear you didn't have a good day! I am good thank you :) How was your experience at Naidex? She is beautiful! What's her name? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Tazzie sorry to hear you did not have a good day, how are you doing today? Happy to hear you found us at Naidex. How was it? Aww, thanks for sharing a picture of her :)

You may be interested in joining our dealing with chronic pain discussions and Disabled people discussions, please feel free to have a chat with our members on there.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Tazzie and welcome to the community. :)

Just had to jump in and say what a lovely looking dog you have! How old is she? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Tazzie welcome to the forums, sorry to hear about your experiences with medical personnel, with only 20 years on the system myself, i'm not surprised much either i'm also sorry to say, as while they teach many things at university now days, empathy, sympathy and understanding or caring tbh isn't one of them, while many in the profession do an outstanding job and this wild and very open reply doesn't apply to all, it's enough to make you wonder why some choose to do a caring type job in the first place, more of them need to spend a day in the life with someone with issues of sit all day in a chair and see how it feels for themselves to gain a better and more deeper understanding on what it's like. have a good back holiday weekend and enjoy the lovely dog

Brightness