COOKING WITH FISH A GUIDE — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

COOKING WITH FISH A GUIDE

Options
thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello every one thought I would share some of my secrets and ways to cook Fish.

Being a Good Friday some of you might wish to cook some Fish.

I eat Fish as it is simple to cook . Something makes a change.

I generally buy the following. Salmon, Trout.  Also Mackerel and any Fish from the Med .

If and when I can get it.   Supermarket prices vary and it always good to shop around.

If buying from a Fish counter just be aware of what is available.

Could I buy this frozen.  Have seen and used Hake, Coley and Pollack different to usual Cod and Haddock.

As I do Seafood mix which is Prawns, Squid and Mussels. Sometimes Prawns King ones.

To cook any Fish that is Oily such as Mackerel, Salmon, Trout.

Just place Flesh side down. In a pan with no oil. Oil in the Fish . Put on a moderate high heat.  Use  Sauté Pan with a lid.

You can see the colour changing.  From dark pink to light pink with Salmon and Trout. Mackerel after five minutes should be coloured light beige.

Then turn over carefully. I use wooden or plastic spatulas. To crisp up the skin.

Do this for three minutes.

Fish like White Fish Cod, Haddock Hake and Seabass cook pan fry a little oil some butter and just leave it. If no skin Fish will change to an opaque colour.

Put the lid on if it a clear lid you can see the colour change. Remove after five minutes. 

Fish should be always under cooked slightly.

Remember Fish if it flakes easily . Still cooking residual heat after removing.  From Pan.

Any Fish goes well with anything Tomato sauce or Spices.

Do this simple one all the time.

FISH IN TOMATO SAUCE WITH PESTO.

You will need any Fish your choice.  Two per person.  Fillets.

Jar Pesto green herb one use One tablespoon.

Jar Pasta Sauce for convenience

Your choice of vegetables. Peppers any, Zucchini, Aubergines.  Diced up and cubed.

One Sauté pan for Fish . One saucepan for sauce.

Knife, Chopping Board, 

METHOD

In a saucepan add jar Pasta sauce put in to it any vegetables of your choice.  Medium heat then to low cover leave for five minutes.

Remember most sauces like this do not take a long time just warm through. You want veggies aldente not hard but soft to the bite.

Add last minute Tablespoon of Pesto stir in. Cover and just gently simmer.

Fish your choice .

Pan fry as described for white Fish Oil Butter seal. Sauté Pan Leave till opaque.

Oily  Flesh side down in Sauté Pan leave till goes pink pale and opaque turn over to crisp up the skin leave three minutes.

To a plate to rest. You can season if you wish to. I use my herb, spice mixes if I want to.

Portion of sauce with Fish on top.

That is it.

You can add other ingredients to the Pesto Tomato Sauce. There is a Pasta called Orzo or Risini . Looks like Rice add a table spoon of that to the sauce will expand like Rice does after five minutes.

You could add Jar Pasta Sauce to a blender of Food processor. Add Pesto add from a jar roasted red Peppers. Blitz up.

Has a slight smoky and a tang from the Peppers and Pesto.

Hope you enjoy this.

Any questions happy to answer. Also any one like to share their Fish recipes happy to do so.

Buon Appetito.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Thanks for this @thespiceman! Fish is one of those things I've always been wary of trying to cook. Guess I'll give this a whirl. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    Options

Hello @Adrian_Scope Thanks for comments. Just wanted to add first thing I ever cooked.

To give you reassurance and confidence.

I used to go to the Fish counter of the Supermarkets.

Wise and educated staff.  Asking them for advice and guidance.  Had my trolley full of those silver foil packs. Every shop .

Learnt a lot.  Something I would recommend by the way.

Now shop on line and buy Fish in the packs as every one does. Now again buy from the counter.

This time of year Sea bream. Called Black Bream. Mackerel.

Lovely Fish to cook with easy to do.

To give you more confidence.

You be fine.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Krevetka
    Krevetka Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello everyone. I really love fish and my favorite fish is salmon. I love to eat salmon with fry potato or sometimes rice. I took recipe how  long to cook salmon here https://club.cooking/articles/how-long-to-cook-salmon/
  • thespiceman
    Options
    Hello @Krevetka   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

Please have a look around our website.

Glad you like fish. Happy to share recipes.

I use fish many ways. Simple the best. Have used and do use fish in my diet.

Main one being salads with grains or Pasta.

Make a simple dressing with Lemon juice and Olive oil.

Pan fry fish, like Salmon.  Leave to cool and then flake into Couscous which you make up with any water and stock according to instructions on packet.

Dice or chop or shred any veggies the fridge like Carrots, Zucchini,  Cherry Tomatoes,  any thing like Beetroot cooked diced and chopped into Couscous. 

Put into any Pasta cooked drained and cooled. Flake into any dressing simple ones best again.

Did this weekend with touch mayonnaise with Dijon Mustard and Lemon juice and Honey.

Used Anti Pasti jars anything like Peppers are good.

Enjoy.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness