Benefits query — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits query

starbuck
starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
I don't think this is the right forum but I'm not sure where else to ask. 
We've had a slight increase in our child tax credits, pip and carer 's allowance. do i need to ring the dwp to tell them of the increases as i claim income support? my is has gone down slightly this week so I'm guessing that's because of the increase in ca but I wonder if I need to phone and check ( though I really don't want to unless I have to as talking to them really sets off my anxiety ?)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    I'm not 100% sure but I think the DWP will adjust your claim accordingly, my Son had a rise in his carers and they adjusted his Income Support without him calling, in fact, they sent him a letter to let him know.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @starbuck I have found the following information which may help you :)

Child Benefit payments are not affected by any tax credits you get, but other benefits like Housing Benefit are.

If you get tax credits, you may get less:

• Housing Benefit
    • Income Support
    • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Pension Credit
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Is this because of the uprating that happens in April?
  • starbuck
    Waylay, does that mean a normal increase in money, if so yes. I haven't changed anything on any of my claims.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Hi there, Yeah, they put up the rates of some benefits every April (not usually very much). The DWP should know, as they run these benefits.
  • starbuck
    Will they know about the child tax credits increase as they're paid by HMRC? I really don't want to have to phone them unless absolutely necessary ?
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    You should receive a letter to state that any payment has lowered or increased :.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    As you're claiming Income support then you will be claiming the maximum amount of tax credits. Your child tax credits is money for your children and your income support is money for you. Tax credits won't affect the amount of Income Support you're entitled to.

I had a slight increase in my tax credits, including a small one of payment and neither of them will affect the amount of ESA i claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • starbuck
    So I won't need to ring them then? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Absolutely not no because it doesn't affect your income support at all.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • starbuck

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.