Can the DWP block you from speaking to your Case Manager for Mandatory Reconsideration? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can the DWP block you from speaking to your Case Manager for Mandatory Reconsideration?

2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    I won my pip tribunal on 2nd April backdated to July last year now I spoke to pip on the phone on the 16th to find out if a decision was made on weather they were gonna appeal stated that DWP have allowed tribunals decision with no review date backdated to July last year now I asked about the backdated payment and was told it was now in a queue with a case manage aka decision maker. why would a decision maker deal with processing payments? It has confused me 
    It's a decision maker that decides whether or not to request the Statement of reasons, if they do then they have 1 month from the date of the decision. Requesting this doesn't mean they will appeal because they can't appeal without finding the error in law. Payments can take 8 weeks after a Tribunal win.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Welshlad90
    Welshlad90 Community member Posts: 89 Courageous
    They have already decided they are not appealing they have said they are allowing the tribunals decision why would the decision maker dealing with payment processing? poppy123456 said:
    I won my pip tribunal on 2nd April backdated to July last year now I spoke to pip on the phone on the 16th to find out if a decision was made on weather they were gonna appeal stated that DWP have allowed tribunals decision with no review date backdated to July last year now I asked about the backdated payment and was told it was now in a queue with a case manage aka decision maker. why would a decision maker deal with processing payments? It has confused me 
    It's a decision maker that decides whether or not to request the Statement of reasons, if they do then they have 1 month from the date of the decision. Requesting this doesn't mean they will appeal because they can't appeal without finding the error in law. Payments can take 8 weeks after a Tribunal win.

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Depending on the ammount of backdated payment a senior manager might have to sign off on it
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Welshlad90
    Probably around £3000+

CockneyRebel said:
    Depending on the ammount of backdated payment a senior manager might have to sign off on it

• Welshlad90
    So if they have said to me on the phone that it states DWP have allowed tribunal decision and backdated it from July last year then they have definitely decided not to appeal it
  • CockneyRebel
    Until you receive the decision letter from DWP nothing is certain. The call centre operatives are trained just to get you off the phone asap but it does sound hopefull. You might receive a call asking whether you have been abroad, in hospital or prison recently, this is just to check that you are entitled to the full amount
  • Welshlad90
    Surely though stating that their calls are recorded etc they cant give you false information 
  • CockneyRebel
    Did you get the name of the phone jockey that told you this ?
    As I said it sounds hopeful but no one can give you a definative answer on a forum such as this
  • Welshlad90
    I best off trying to get it confirmed on Tuesday 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    My own experience it was a good job I called DWP after winning my tribunal. I had waited 6 weeks and other than receiving a normal payment I had heard nothing about back pay. I rang and they paid it within 2 hours I also queried the amount they had calculated was £1400 less than my calculation. When they did a check of this my calculation was correct they said it was a system error. So had I not called I would have been paid the incorrect amount and would have waited longer for payment 
  • Welshlad90
    janer1967 said:
    My own experience it was a good job I called DWP after winning my tribunal. I had waited 6 weeks and other than receiving a normal payment I had heard nothing about back pay. I rang and they paid it within 2 hours I also queried the amount they had calculated was £1400 less than my calculation. When they did a check of this my calculation was correct they said it was a system error. So had I not called I would have been paid the incorrect amount and would have waited longer for payment 
    Well all I've been told is the DWP have allowed the tribunals decision there is no review date and it's being backdated to July last year he said within 1 to 2 weeks I should either have a letter or I may have the back payment before I get the letter 
  • madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    It seems like the system is on its knees at the moment, been waiting for a MR but this time they are taking their time, I see in Jan 18,930 new claims were put in for PIP then 10,480 people asked for a MR, only 2730 had theirs changed, figures don't say which way, If they sorted this out and made the correct decision in the first place it could save a lot of time and money.
  • Welshlad90
    I dont need a MR I have already won claim at a tribunal 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    People have been asking for it to be “sorted out” since 1948. The success rate of MR is well known. It currently stands at 19%.

This country has 'fiddled' with how to look after the needy for over 400 years. The Poor Laws worked quite well in that in one guise or another they continued until the late 60's. However in 1948 they attempted to redesign them and brought out the National Assistance Board, removing the church parishes to the national government to take responsibility. The rest is history, with successive governments tinkering with the principle depending on how they felt at the time.
    Personally the National Assistance Act of 1948 had a lot going for it and it certainly targeted money to those in most need unlike today with millionaires being able to claim CB ESA, CB JSA as well as PIP & AA!!!!

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
     Poor Laws did "work very well" - as long as you weren't poor when you would be in the workhouse, sleeping in a dormitory, fed slops and expected to work every day for nothing.

I think that the consensus is that the modern welfare system - with all of it's faults - is an improvement..

• twonker
    edited April 2019
    I’m sorry! Was that a parody post? The Poor Laws “worked quite well” and the NA48 “had a lot going for it”. Seriously? Benefit take-up remains lowest amongst older people precisely because of the stigma of means-testing introduced by NA48. I can’t be bothered responding to the rest. It has to be a spoof surely!
    certainly not a spoof.
    The stigma as you quite rightly point out is still with us even after 1966 when the NA was abolished. Are you suggesting that only those born after 1945 are affected?  To equate the NA Act for the reason that today's old people refuse to claim benefits is wrong. For someone to have had to claim NA they would have to have been born between 1927 and 1945. That would put the youngest today at 74 and the oldest 92. So those younger than 73 shouldn't have this issue given that they would only be 21 when NA ceased.

Means testing is still with us today so nothing has changed. Under NA only those that were in need received help with one proviso, people had to take responsibility for themselves with claiming this benefit something of last resort. Today claiming seems to be the norm - an expectation.

Stigma? Yes it should be. When I was growing up it was shameful for a man not to be able to maintain his family without recourse to public funds. In fact I believe that it is still a criminal act for not maintaining a man's wife and children when living together as one unit. It was also a criminal act for the eldest son not to financially support  his widowed mother. 

Men seem to have lost their sense of responsibility and pride.
  • twonker
    cristobal said:
     Poor Laws did "work very well" - as long as you weren't poor when you would be in the workhouse, sleeping in a dormitory, fed slops and expected to work every day for nothing.

I think that the consensus is that the modern welfare system - with all of it's faults - is an improvement..

That reminds me of the days when I served in the forces! Have you seen what the menu consisted of in the workhouse? Meat pie, boiled potatoes and gravy followed by bread and butter pudding. I was brought up on that and that wasn't in the workhouse! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.