Claiming UC with ASD/Agoraphobia - Cannot attend Jobcentre - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming UC with ASD/Agoraphobia - Cannot attend Jobcentre

Options
2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am in the process of just starting to claim for my son who is exactly the same - I have verified his identity on line, but I ma dreading the next stage of calling for the appointment....I also did not realise he would be entitled to PIP. Any advice? I'm about to call UC now on his behalf. Do you mind if I email you directly capybara23 .. this whole thing seems like a minefield.
    Hi,

I'm a Community Champion here on scope. I'm afraid we don't allow personal email address use here on scope. Once you've made a certain number of post (not sure how many exactly) then you can private message other forum users.

As for your son's UC claim. May i ask if he's a student? If so, does he claim any student loan?

does he live at home or with a partner?  It's difficult to give advice without knowing more of his circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LouiseAinsley
    LouiseAinsley Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    No he's not a student, has no student loan, he lives with us his parents. Capybara's initial post seemed to be exactly the same position that I am in now with my son, down to even her sons age.
  • jayneburns71
    jayneburns71 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Can I just say I was pretty lucky with UC. I've been total housebound for many years as I am extremely agoraphobic! I explained on the phone that I haven't stepped out of my house in years and said what I had missed out on weddings, funeral ect... I phoned my doctor's for a fit note and told UC I was waiting for that but the man said he could tell I wasn't fit for work and said he would turn off my looking for work and just to tell him when I had my fit note... I must have just caught them on a good day.. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    That's for sharing your experience @jayneburns71, they are supposed to take your circumstances into consideration when deciding your claimant commitments, but we've definitely seen that isn't always the case. I'm glad yours was helpful! :)

When did you apply for UC and were you claiming anything beforehand?

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Debbie1234
    Debbie1234 Community member Posts: 183 Courageous
    Options
    Hello sorry to jump on this post I really need help.
    I have been on a SA support group since 2008 and I’ve recently made a new claim for universal credit and they are telling me that I have to attend at least the first appointment at the job center today I am crying and having panic attacks as I suffer with severe acrophobia is there anyway that I can get around this or send my husband with my paperwork this seems cruel
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hello sorry to jump on this post I really need help.
    I have been on a SA support group since 2008 and I’ve recently made a new claim for universal credit and they are telling me that I have to attend at least the first appointment at the job center today I am crying and having panic attacks as I suffer with severe acrophobia is there anyway that I can get around this or send my husband with my paperwork this seems cruel

Hello Debbie,
    It's standard procedure to have to attend your local job centre when you first make a claim for UC, which i did advise on your other threads.
    Once this appointment is completed because you were in the Support Group for ESA you will be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim and you won't have to attend any further appointments but you need to make sure you tell them that you were in the Support Group.
    If you really can't attend did you leave a message on your journal to explain the reasons why you're unable to attend?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Debbie1234
    Options
    Hello Poppy 😊
    Thank you once again for your quick response I have mentioned it on my journal and I have said that if I really really need to attend I will be coming with my husband…
    You did mention it before I was just hoping and praying I didn’t have to go by some miracle I will get ready now thank you so much

have a lovely day 🌷
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ...made a new claim for universal credit and they are telling me that I have to attend at least the first appointment at the job center today I am crying and having panic attacks as I suffer with severe acrophobia is there anyway that I can get around this or send my husband with my paperwork this seems cruel
    I wasn't aware of this either.  I'm expecting to be moved onto UC within the next year or so (as everyone will be eventually).  I haven't been more than half a mile from my home in the last 12 months and can't use any form of transport.  Nearest Job Centre is 5 miles away so I've got no chance at attending.  I really hope there is some way around it.

(PS - It may just be a typo, but I think you mean agoraphobia for difficulty going out.  Acrophobia is a fear of heights.  Not trying to be pedantic but I wouldn't put it past assessors to use that to their advantage.)
  • Debbie1234
    Options
    😂 oh dear me I am such a dweeb at times. Thank you for the clarification and yes they would use it to their advantage
  • Debbie1234
    Options
    hello 👋 
    just to let you know I managed to go to the initial first appointment for universal credit. The lady was nice and only kept me 12 minutes with my husband there holding my hand. She asked me to upload a fit note on my online account, I explained I was on ESA support group since 2008 and she still asked me to try and get one. The only thing I could get at such short notice was a standard letter from my doctor listing all my mental health illnesses. I am hoping and praying 🙏 that I won’t have to go again. The online work coach thing I had to agree to specified that I had to search for work 0 hours a week and attend any work related appointments which I’m praying they won’t with me. I hope this helps anybody 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's not unusal for it to take a few weeks for them to transfer your Support Group award across, once this happens your claimant commiments will change to "report all changes" which you will need to agree to. You won't need to attend any appointments.
  • Debbie1234
    Options
    That is good news thank you Poppy 😁
  • stay_positive
    stay_positive Community member Posts: 231 Courageous
    Options
    I'll be going through this soon , I'm terrified and not sleeping well at all because of the panic and anxiety . I have my counselling phone call on the 25 this month and I am going to tell her my fears see if she can help and put my mind at peace . I don't go anywhere without my husband , he even had to stay with me at the hospital when I had a hysterectomy for cancer , I was terrified . I've never been on ESA as never claimed any benefits for my condition apart from PIP back in 2016 and didn't take it any further when turned down , but this time I was awarded it without a face 2 face assessment , I thought this was all over with , but because my husband has now had to close the business he is going to claim UC and that then puts me in the finding work category , this thread was informative . At the moment my husband is waiting to hear back from carers , its 4 weeks since he applied and five weeks this coming Monday , I'm already under stress and anxiety as my 3 monthly check up is on the 6th June , it causes me so much anxiety , then when given the all clear I breath again and start to relax , but this UC work assessment is adding to my anxiety and panic attacks . Praying i can get through it and get an understanding work coach , no employee would want me , i cant sit very long or stand very long because i still have pain from the scar tissue from the hysterectomy, I had robotic surgery and have six incisions in various places in my stomach , three on the left side which causes me pain daily , so totally useless really for any job . Plus I haven't worked for over 25 years due to panic and anxiety , now made worse since cancer diagnosis last December . Praying this will be sorted soon , my life it seems is all about waiting right now . It's a good test for patience that's for sure . Sorry for the long post . x
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No need to apologise @stay_positive sometimes it helps to talk about these things! And not too long until your counselling phone call either. Something which might help there is to make a note of what you want to talk about, ready for the 25th.

Often time is limited with counselling sessions, and it can be a helpful prompter having some notes with you. Hopefully it will be a good support for your mental health and wellbeing.

Keep us updated with how things go, and remember the community is always here for a chat and support if you need it :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • stay_positive
    stay_positive Community member Posts: 231 Courageous
    Options
    No need to apologise @stay_positive sometimes it helps to talk about these things! And not too long until your counselling phone call either. Something which might help there is to make a note of what you want to talk about, ready for the 25th.

Often time is limited with counselling sessions, and it can be a helpful prompter having some notes with you. Hopefully it will be a good support for your mental health and wellbeing.

Keep us updated with how things go, and remember the community is always here for a chat and support if you need it :)
    Thank you , I have a questionaire to fill in and send 10 minutes before the counselling phone call. There is lots I need to talk about so your suggestion is good and thank you . I will keep updated :) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.