PIP MR Rejected — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP MR Rejected

KeyLuke
KeyLuke Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Hi Guys,

for those is who don’t know; I have cystic shadowing on my lungs resulting in breathlessness when walking at all. I also have anxiety (treated with CBT) and dyslexia. I also have ASC but this is currently undiagnosed.

I have had my pip claim rejected at MR stage as I don’t receive medication for my anxiety and there was no breathlessness observed by the assessor despite her putting in the report that “breathing returned to normal after using an inhaler”. They’ve referred to my IAPT prognosis letters as “appointment” letters and also have disregarded any medical
evidence I’ve sent them regarding the condition of my lungs. I’m at a bit of a loss; and wondering if it’s worth my time applying to appeal (im thinking I should speak to the CAB about this).

any advice people have that’d be super appreciated!

Comments

• twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    KeyLuke said:
    Hi Guys,

for those is who don’t know; I have cystic shadowing on my lungs resulting in breathlessness when walking at all. I also have anxiety (treated with CBT) and dyslexia. I also have ASC but this is currently undiagnosed.

I too have similar, Pulmonary Fibrosis which is great fun when doing anything but a gentle stroll for 5 minutes. The Xray shows a 75% loss of right lung capacity due to scaring.

The assessor told me to give a good lungful of air into a tube, after 3 attempts she took it from me. The readings were in the high 200's to low 300's which ties in with the tests at the GP surgery. However the assessor reported that I sabotaged the three attempts by holding it incorrectly. Result of which was breathlessness does not exist!
  • KeyLuke
    KeyLuke Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Thanks for the insight @ilovecats very much appreciated!

I’ve already scored on the dyslexia;

for me it was more the issue that breathlessness was observed and noted in the assessors report as such (despite not observing me walking) and then contradicted by “no breathlessness observed” and at no point was my breathing measured (@twonker ; I’ve heard of people having the opportunity to give a peak flow...I wasn’t given that; which I find odd) and yeah I have a long history of depression and anxiety and cbt is being tried as I reacted badly when I was on medication previously. Hope that helps and thanks again for the info and advice!

• twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    ilovecats said:

That may be why they did not do a peak flow with you. I’m surprised that they asked @twonker to do one! It’s largely uneccessary.
    I presume that the assessor carried out the 3 tests then is because of the fact that the only evidence that I presented to them relating to that condition was what I had put on the original claim form. The medical evidence which I did not obtain from the GP I believed was unimportant expecting my statements both verbal and written would be accepted given that I had signed the document saying so.
    To my way of thinking is that it should have been pretty obvious given that the inhaler was on page 4 of the repeat prescription I submitted.

note. I have just remembered when you said that they would not do these tests, my GP refused to test me for lung pressure or something like that - like blowing into a hard rubber balloon. I remember him telling me that I could not have that test due to having a diagnosed aneurism in the oesophagus? If that makes any sense.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.