Neurological - Housing Help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Neurological - Housing Help

balance
balance Community member Posts: 3 Listener

Hello

hope you are all well? 

I wondered whether anyone had any advice as I’m so overwhelmed. 

Im 36, and for the last several years, have had debilitating dizziness to the point I cannot stand, as now I know my brain cannot function properly. 

Ive been through 6 years of tests, MRI’s, many different departments, physio therapy, the list goes on, all while the medicals were trying to diagnose me being pushed from department to department. 

I must mention during the last several years, I’ve been a joint carer for my sister who suffers with mental health and autism. Trying to deal with panic rushes to the A&E for my sister on many occasions and trying to attend meetings for her has been tough and has also made my condition worse. 

For the last several years, I’ve always worked local, however during a really tough year with my sisters health and mine, I lost 4 jobs in 2013 due to both. My finances took a massive toll and I ended up funding my daily living with credit cards, also so my mum could carry on working (sister lives with mother).

I got to a point where I didn’t feel well to work.  Due to my high debts and the phonecalls and letters becoming so overwhelming, a year later I got another job, where I’ve been for the last 2 years, it’s a struggle, lots of sick days, readjustments to lights, longer breaks etc. 

For the last several years I’ve been staying with a friend close to my sisters (mother’s) house due to my caring responsibilities, which, up until the last year has been fine. 

My friend had lost her job, her son, is a heavy substance user and is an alcoholic. There would be days and days where she will not open the door due to her state or not being there. (I’m unable to stay at sisters as it is overcrowded, and due to sisters autism she can not tolerate abnormality etc) 

I approached the council as homeless in January (currently staying in my car) and the odd days at one of my colleagues and if I lock up, at work. 

I advised the council: 

1. I’m homeless 
  2. I have medical conditions: neurological, visual vertigo, anxiety, depression, psoriasis, and now suspected high blood pressure 
  3. I am under a psychotherapist which was recommended to deal with my condition and ailments 
  4. I am under a neurologist  for  my condition
  5. I have just been given a carers assessment by my sisters Social Worker detailing my condition and the implications of my caring role 
  6. I explained the the council, even though I work, due to my condition and not being able to also work due to my sisters mental health, the debt has caused me to be not be able to live near my sister (due to my caring role) and my work. My condition means I do not cope well with anything moving, lights, patterns etc, so I have to limit myself to 10 minute journeys. 

I provided the council with as much information as possible, 

1. GP letter confirming my history and that being homeless will not be good for my wellbeing or condition 
  2. Letter from my psychotherapist detailing the risk factor to my health 
  3. A letter from my sisters social worker also detailing my condition, impact and caring role and the importance of me being able to still care for my sister.            I was eventually given a case worker, who then came back to me and said that they would only have a duty to help me if I have a medical priority need, I have a dependent or I’m pregnant and that the DR came back and advised that I had no priority. 

Can anyone advise me further please 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @balance welcome to the community! I am terribly sorry to hear what you have been going through. Please give our helpline a call on 0808 800 3333 who will give you trained advice  and offer support. Helpline is open 9am to 5pm weekdays.

In the meantime, I will do my best to find information that may be helpful. I just wanted to make you aware that your post has not been missed and we will do whatever we can to help you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • balance
    Thank you so much. 
  • Ami2301
    Has your local council been back in contact with you? Have you heard of Shelter?
    Shelter helps millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through our advice, support and legal services.

We have a variety of information about practical and emotional advice for when you are in debt

Not having enough money to pay important bills like rent, council tax, gas and electricity can be stressful. Your health can also suffer if you’re not eating properly or keeping warm. While it’s easy to get into debt, it’s more difficult to get out.

The most important thing is to talk about your situation with someone you trust. This could be a family member, friend or someone at work. They could help you contact your local authority, landlord or creditors. You should also speak to a debt advisor. You might not think so, but talking about your debt can help.

• balance
    Thank you I called the number you gave me and they eere really helpful - thank you so much I’ll come back and update you 
  • Ami2301
    Please do! We might not be able to respond straight away but I guarantee you that we will respond. I really hope something is sorted for you!

Brightness