PIP Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment

SWC0870
SWC0870 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
On the back of my PIP assessment a couple of weeks ago I requested a copy of the assessment submitted.  I couldn't believe the amount of incorrect information that was included and have been quick to challenge even before my decision (probably to my detriment) has been made - couldn't refrain any longer.  Loads of false information - I suffer from chronic nerve damage post multiple operations on my leg and a lot of the insight she had was subjective and to cover herself - would use terms like "only a snapshot".  Just a couple of examples which highlighted the tone for me - " I was observed in the reception area standing up repeatedly and in the assessment without support"  What wasn't included was I cant sit down for more than a few minutes because of the pain I suffer - this was  highlighted by me at the start of the assessment that I would have to stand up throughout the session.  As per my application don't wear shoes with laces - as cant bend - assessor for some reason pointed out I was wearing shoes with laces - not true (I wore shoes with no tie laces) stated that I was repeatedly bending down throughout the interview - not true, refused to stand on toes-not true (couldn't due to pain).  Loads more - "I could walk at a normal pace - snapshot" I'm taking citalopram and still coming to terms with having cancer last year - the assessor couldn't understand why this would be stressful still now

I recorded the session and await my decision which already have resigned myself that I will be appealing - unfortunately I didn't get a good assessor and now actively challenging a lot of the content as being lies (very strong word) - just couldn't believe the number of false points included!

Not sure how I have faired in terms of points  - in one comment box  she recommended that my benefit claim should be reviewed in 3 years time.  Regardless of that - I approached this in an honest manner supported by the advice of doctor but found the whole interview very underhand/incorrect and clear that some assessors are motivated not to support a claim.

Too many additional inconsistencies & false inclusions to mention - so have complained already highlighting the incorrect inclusions circa >10.

Advice to all - record the interview and take someone with you - I couldn't on the day.   Will keep you all updated.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, as you posted it is a snapshot of yourself and the assessment is to confirm your answers that you submitted in your application form. You where observed before entering and before your assessment, your appearance will have been noted from hair, finger nails looks ect, you have "30 days to request a MR once you have received your award notification letter. You must focus on the descriptors that you think you where wrongly scored giving examples of what happens when you try to do the descriptors in question. The MR or tribunal hearing are not intrested in what lies may have been said. 
  • SWC0870
    HI W and fair point.  However, when the information/observations made from the assessment are incorrect -  feel I have every right to flag.  From a professional perspective,  familiar with the mechanics behind ASOS assessment and the challenges they have had with high profile complaints around data capture & feedback to DWP.  I have shared my journey only for the benefit of others and eagerly await decision.  Cheers  S
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You say you're not sure how many points were recommended in the report. Points are not added up because it's just a recommendation. What you need to do is compare those boxes with the dots/ticks against the PIP descriptors then add up the points, if there's any.

As for the lies that may or may not have been told in the report, i totally agree that DWP or the Tribunal will not be interested in any of these. They will only be interested in where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. If the decision doesn't go in your favour i strongly advise that you concentrate on this when writing the MR request letter and for the Tribunal if you get that far and most do.

Any complaints about the assessment report should be sent to the health assessment providers.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SWC0870
    Thanks for all the comments - never done anything like this before.
  • poppy123456
    You say you recorded the assessment, did you tell them you were going to do this before the day of assessment? and did you use the correct recording equipment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • SWC0870
    Yes, had to fill in a disclaimer and used to tape recorders giving one copy to the assessor.
  • poppy123456
    Did you add up the recommended points like i advised in a previous comment?
  • SWC0870
    What I’m struggling to get my head around is the capture and submission of info that is just not correct. At the end of the day the decision around any benefit I receive (may not receive anything) should be based on what I submitted in my application and actual events from assessment. That’s what I feel strong about - took me just under a year to apply for PIP after first being advised to do so - pride. I personally found elements of my assessment very difficult and feel could have been dealt with better. 
  • poppy123456
    You still haven't answered my question, did you add up the recommended points?

Part of the assessment is to verify what you said in the form and you would have been observed with everything you did. For example,  If you say you need an aid for using the toilet then they would have observed your ability to stand up from being seated.

If you don't have a decision your happy with and it gets to Tribunal they won't appreciate you mentioning any lies that may have been told in the report.
  • SWC0870
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • olly79
    olly79 Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hello

I’m hoping someone can advise me on the following please

Went to PIP assessment in November 2018

Received letter a couple of weeks later confirming all information had been received and was being reviewed

Received letter confirming I was eligible for PIP and was awarded in January 2019

Had to send back for review/reconsideration as was only awarded standard rate and believed it should have been higher so I can be eligible for a blue badge (which I need). I Sent this back within 2 weeks in early February 2019

Received response regarding review/reconsideration in April 2019, 2 months after appealing standard rate decision and now told not entitled to PIP at all and to return over payments. Still waiting for letter on how much I owe them and from what date.

I don’t understand how assessors review each case and what the benchmark is to receive PIP. They clearly aren’t reading off the same hymn sheet and have differing views of who is eligible and who isn’t. The first letter I received in January 2019 the assessor has clearly agreed I should be in receipt of PIP. However, the second assessor who reviewed the appeal decision has a different view and has decided I shouldn’t be in receipt of PIP at all. So, one minute I’m eligible and 3 months later I’m not.

Any advise whether personal or professional would be very much appreciated.
  • poppy123456

It would have been better and less confusing if you had started your own thread with the question. It's confusing for those giving advice when asking questions on other people's threads.

When you request the MR you do risk losing what you already have because they look at the decision again, although most MR decisions remain the same. There could have been something in your evidence that made the other decision maker or HCP remove some of the points you were originally awarded. It's impossible to give any advice without knowing all of your circumstances.

I'm confused why DWP are asking you to pay back what you've already received because you were originally awarded PIP. I would definitely get further expert advice regarding that.

As for your PIP then the next step is the Tribunal for you and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request it.

I'd advise you to get some face to face advice from a local advice centre near you.

Waiting times for Tribunals are huge so expect a very long wait. Some are waiting in excess of 1 year. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

• olly79
    olly79 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi
    Sorry about that. Am new to this. Thanks for your feedback its much appreciated.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.