Can I apply for Universal Credit on PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I apply for Universal Credit on PIP?

johnbjohn
johnbjohn Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited April 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
I am receiving PIP , would I still be able to receive universal credit

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @johnbjohn, welcome to the community!

Yes you can, but if you’re currently in receipt of SDP you can’t presently apply for UC.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • johnbjohn
    I have multiple sclerosis which I have just been diagnosed , would that entitle me to any other benefit. Thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It will totally depend on your circumstances. Universal credit is a means tested benefit and claiming it depends on other household income. I'd advise a visit to your local CAB for a full benefits check.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • johnbjohn
    Can I claim universal credit and also pip? Thank you
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    They are two separate benefits. If you meet the criteria then you can claim both
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • johnbjohn
    Please tell me the criteria thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    For Universal credit it will depend on your circumstances. Household income, savings/capital. Putting your details into a benefits calculator will tell if you'll be eligible to claim or not. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/ Or you can make an appointment at an advice agency near you for a full benefits check.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sassysailor
    sassysailor Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I don't know if this will help but I am on UC I have two children on my own I am also in receipt of pip but I was on UC first I'd enquire through your local job centre it's worth a try 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.