Help or advice... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help or advice...

jbautismaware11
jbautismaware11 Community member Posts: 15 Connected

Hi everyone.

I really need help on what to do.

Firstly I have a 7 yr old son who has autism. Well hes 8 in 2 months.

He was diagnosed in May 2015 and was currently attending nursery setting.

This is a question about education.

He started reception in September 2015

In October 2015 after numerous visits off a EARLY YEARS SENIT, STARS team, SENCO and new class teachers they finalist a report.

Please read this properly as i need help.

All I have in his folder is a COMPLEX NEEDS CONSULATION AND SEN SUPPORT SUMMARY SHEET.

Also I have EYFFI early years funding for inclusion.

Yr 1 and 2 came round and all I get is target sheets that says sen support plan at the top.

We are now in yr 3 n ive received 1 support plan target sheet all year.

My son is really struggling and the SENCO has put it off and off. Ive complained since yr 1 but they kept saying the same things. They havnt applied for extra funding all these years as they stated to me, they are worried that L.A. will come out and lower it to where he could get nothing. They have All said he needs more help but not enough funding. The previous SENCO has left without notice to parents with sen children. A new SENCO is in training and with the lead practioner they are saying in paper my boy is doing amazing but told me by voice hes not. 

Be aware though, that hes doing that fantastic, they've had to make a referal back to STARS. And bring his speech therapist back In, as they was trying to save on money and putting there hand in there pocket. So where was the speech funding money going? Because it wasnt on my child. His funding award was to have speech and language every 2 weeks. They removed all his things off him due to lack of funding I.e. workstation in quiet area, intensive interaction, time out tent, fidget toys, they have taken his TA off him, from having one full time in reception, TO.... in yr 3, only having his TA half an hour in the morning and half hour afternoon. The half an hour in morning is basically to take him in and settle him down due to the fear and hatred towards school. They removed visual timetable and award charts, visual cue cards. But now referral has been made to stars, all these things they removed are slowly creeping back in place so when stars come back in, they can make out there's no problem. They will not admit they were wrong n he needs more help. They won't have their school having a bad name. I can't prove nothing either evan tho ive documented everything they've said. My word is nothing unfortunately. He's to be dragged to school, meltdowns, self harming his hands and small violence to me. All due to him hating school. He's now stimming too. He is hypersensitive and severe anxiety to noise and all animals etc. The list goes on. He's severely routine based and does a lot of visual. If this is disturbed then all hell breaks loose. Hes terrified of his teachers. Has talking mats and ear defenders. I could keep going. He has huge meltdowns and night worrying about school in the morning and when morning comes he's very emotional and meltdowns can happen.

So the help I need is...

I believe he needs an EHC plan.

School and SENCO will pretend that he's fine and will not help. He will not cope in main stream high school as he's struggling now at primary. The old SENCO before quitting said she would help get him into a autism school but now she's quit I dont no what the new one will do.

Help... I'm not very clued up on paperwork and big words etc and rights.

What does my son currently have? Support plan, IEP, or due to the new act law will it be a EHCP or have they not bothered to transfer. I really don't understand. How do i go about get a EHCP.?

They no I'm not very brainy but i have a friend who's helped me understand loads. She also has autism child same school. Please somebody help me....

Can't wait to here from you all

Thankyou :)

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What school is he in? I’d also recommend contacting the local council for advice on what to do. Talk to your friend. She might also be able to answer your questions. Also try contacting a social worker to see if they can help you. 
  • jbautismaware11
    Hi april
    Hes in a mainstream primary school in leeds. Iv researched everything but one website is saying one thing and other websites are saying opposite. I no that scope is the best for getting straight answers without complications. My friend has told me to ask for ehcp and try get the ball rolling but she couldn't really state on paperwork as her child is totally different.  X
  • April2018mom
    Ask for a EHCP for him. My child has a physical disability so the paperwork will be different definitely it depends on the disability. While I’m not sure if my boy qualifies for a EHCP you should definitely look into getting one. 
  • jbautismaware11
    Thankyou April. I will look into that. ? 
  • April2018mom
    Here is some additional information on EHCPs. 

https://www.gov.uk/children-with-special-educational-needs/extra-SEN-help

Hopefully it will answer your questions. 
  • Beverley_Scope
    Beverley_Scope Scope Posts: 84 Pioneering
    @jbautismaware11

It sounds like you are having a terrible time with the school.  It is not easy at the best of times but if school are not supporting you it makes it that much more difficult, especially as quite a lot of evidence is provided by the school setting.

England now provides ECHPs  which is what you would need for your little boy to access a school specifically for autism as it is the multi agency panel that would help decide which would be the best setting for him.  

As a parent you have the right to request for the process to being for an ECHP but it is better to speak to the school first, only due to the evidence they should already have.  Below is a link to information on ECHPs in your area (Leeds.Gov.Uk) and if you follow it you can download an information pack for parents.
    https://www.leeds.gov.uk/residents/children-families-and-carers/local-offer/leeds-local-offer/sen-and-disabilities 

I hope this helps a little. 

Beverley
    Beverley Davies
    Parent Advisor
    Navigate
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @jbautismaware11 I would also suggest talking to IPSEA, https://www.ipsea.org.uk/ they will be able to tell you what your rights are and what the school should be doing. They can also let you know what your options are if you wish to take things further at any time.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness