Finally got a diagnosis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finally got a diagnosis

deb74
deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
a couple of weeks ago I went to the doctors with lots of symptoms that I thought were causes by ME my doctor did a few test and then sent me for a chest X-ray, blood test and a ecg. I went back to see him in Monday and he asked me what i thought was causing the symptoms and I said ME he said he agreed. I thought it would take months not a couple of weeks to get a diagnosis. It proves what a good doctor I have got and he is even talking about holistic therapy because he doesn't want to give me lots of pills which is most doctors answer to everything.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @deb74 thank you for sharing this with us, I am happy to hear you got a quick response. You must feel relieved? How are you doing today? Please keep us updated on how it goes with the holistic therapy, all the best.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Oh wow, glad you're being looked after properly.

I was diagnosed with FM and my GP's don't offer me any form of help or support in regards to it, they know it's a chronic pain condition but won't even refer me to pain management, when I asked to be referred to a rheumatologist the GP pretty much said she'd need a good reason to refer me because the NHS is backlogged and when I asked the APM about it, she told me that it's because treatment has little or no affect on FM, plus I can't take painkillers due to stomach and swallowing problems. So I'm stuck struggling with both my mental and physical health on a daily basis :/
  • deb74
    Hi WF2K. I had a doctor years ago that didn't take me seriously fortunately my new doctor is a lot younger which helps I think. Have you looked on the me
    or fibromyalgia website there is loads of info about pacing and alternative things that can help with the symptoms.

• [Deleted User]
    I have done yeah.

I've tried 3 different GP's lol, at least one of them bothered to do blood tests to rule out other problems.

• deb74
    Hi WF2K that is unbelievable!
  • [Deleted User]
    Yeap lol.

I went last year for a swelling and pain in my left side, she said "you're probably having a fibro flare"... you don't have swelling with FM! So it's put me off going back in, it takes me half of my time to attend appointments and this sort of thing doesn't help me in the slightest.
  • deb74
    It sounds like the doctors you saw need to go back to school!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @deb74, I'm glad to hear your doctor is so supportive and thorough! 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • deb74
    I am really glad I changed doctors!

Brightness