Direct payments and employers liability insurance - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum

Direct payments and employers liability insurance



  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,384 Disability Gamechanger
    @SteveE I am sorry, it was not my intention to put you off, but once you become an employer you do take on certain responsibilities. Please speak to the council as they may be able to bring these costs into the direct payment - I don't know if they will or not.

    I hope you find a solution soon.

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @SteveE

    I have just checked my local authority, they provide an Accredited list of Direct Payment Advice and Support Services.

    The costs are paid for within the direct payment budget.

    The Accreditation process is conducted jointly with the NHS.

    There are a dozen of the charities, in the county where I live.
  • SteveE
    SteveE Member Posts: 68 Courageous
    Many thanks @atlas46 and @Geoark - your replies are most helpful. A couple of points: what the local social services will allow or not allow is key and we hope to meet them (again) soon although at this time they seem unable to respond to our requests for a chat; and second, the person who would receive Direct Payments is not elderly but is totally dependent on us, his parents, who are. Once again I am grateful for your time and replies.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @SteveE

    If I can explain in simple terms, the difference in using direct payments for care from an agency or directly employing someone.

    The costs for the local council are the same.

    An agency will charge for labour cost, plus on costs of an employer (NI Employer liable insurance).

    If your son employs someone he has the same costs as an agency, that is why he would use the services of a third party direct payment advice and support service, like I explained, happens in my county.

    I also suggested you contacted ageUK, as they would assist you, whilst I appreciate it a service for your son, it’s about you and your wife needing assistance.

    Your council should have an information guide about direct payments, also seek the assistance of your MP’s office, councils need to be challenged more times over applying direct payments.

    Also bear in mind it’s about every aspect of your son’s life, need to be assessed.

    I appreciate it does sound a bit daunting, but in reality it is quite simple, once you get the gist of it.

    I went through this process many years ago, for my brother in law, who has severe learning disabilities, it was well worth it.

    Les celebrations his 70 birthday next month and he remains in very good health.

    If you need any further assistance, I would be happy to help.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Member Posts: 406 Pioneering
    My son has had DPs since about 2001 and for various reasons (including work experience) i chose to do all the personnel, payroll etc myself, which I am happy to do.  When our local authority do the costinig, based on the assessed hours, they have always also included costings for things like Employers insurance, holidays and some training.  I have always used Fish insurance for the employer insurance as they were the first purpose made insurance for people employing care/support workers via DPs.  They cost £135 per year (and of course other insurers are now available)
  • SteveE
    SteveE Member Posts: 68 Courageous
    Many thanks @atlas46 and @forgoodnesssake for recent posts and for really useful help and advice. This thread has been most informative.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.