PIP Success — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Success

Options
CL10
CL10 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
Hi, I applied for PIP in Oct 2018. I went for an assessment in Nov, received my letter in Dec and was awarded Standard rate for care and mobility with 9 & 10 points. I disagreed with this so I sent a MR request but I only got an extra point.

I felt I had a good case so I decided to appeal. I did this online in March and it was quick and easy to use. I received a text and a letter stating the appeal had been lodged and that DWP had 28 days to respond. 

On 12th April I got a letter from DWP stating they had reviewed my case and had changed my award to Enhanced for both components and that the back dated money would be paid into my account, which I received next day. The award was also changed from two years to six years.

i read a lot of things about PIP online which were encouraging and helpful but I always remember reading things along the lines of 'first time claims always get rejected' and 'you've got no chance if you drive or work' and I found this quite discouraging. The negative things always seem to stick in your mind.

I think it's good to see some positive outcomes so, this was my first claim, I drive and I still work so it is possible. Everybody has different circumstances but please don't be put off claiming.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @CL10, Well done its great news, better than all the bad reviews we keep reading about PIP, a lot of people go on un prepared with high expectations of an award which is or isn't warrantef or justifed with their circumstances. Great result and time line. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Nice :D Thanks for sharing! It's nice to see positive things posted about PIP.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Options
    CL10 said:
    Hi, I applied for PIP in Oct 2018. I went for an assessment in Nov, received my letter in Dec and was awarded Standard rate for care and mobility with 9 & 10 points. I disagreed with this so I sent a MR request but I only got an extra point.

I felt I had a good case so I decided to appeal. I did this online in March and it was quick and easy to use. I received a text and a letter stating the appeal had been lodged and that DWP had 28 days to respond. 

On 12th April I got a letter from DWP stating they had reviewed my case and had changed my award to Enhanced for both components and that the back dated money would be paid into my account, which I received next day. The award was also changed from two years to six years.

i read a lot of things about PIP online which were encouraging and helpful but I always remember reading things along the lines of 'first time claims always get rejected' and 'you've got no chance if you drive or work' and I found this quite discouraging. The negative things always seem to stick in your mind.

I think it's good to see some positive outcomes so, this was my first claim, I drive and I still work so it is possible. Everybody has different circumstances but please don't be put off claiming.
    ….and if you had not appealed and left it at the MR decision?
    In your case and as it did not reach an appeal tribunal, did the DWP tell you why you failed at the MR stage yet some months down the line they changed their mind?
  • Elizabeth1
    Elizabeth1 Community member Posts: 57 Connected
    Options
    @CL10 it’s lovely to read a positive post well done on your award. I’ve just been awarded pip and after reading so much negativity I was convinced I wouldn’t get an award. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @Elizabeth1 that's really good! I'm still waiting to hear about my review and I'm feeling the same as you were due to the same thing :( 
  • Elizabeth1
    Options
    Thanks at @WF2k it’s been a stressful 5 months my report had an audit and that held things up as well. Try not to get too stressed I know it’s hard , but people do have success with pip try to keep positive ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you, yeah I was awarded it the first time for 5 years, this is a review but I never like getting my hopes up. When my Son asked for the report, Capita hadn't even sent it to them yet, it had been three weeks, it was only sent when the DWP requested it. I'm just wondering how long it takes for people to get their reports when they request it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Once you request the report to be sent, providing DWP send it that day then it can take 7 days but usually you receive it within a few days.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ok thanks @poppy123456 my Son requested it on the April 24th, the woman told him that Capita hadn't sent it to them yet and found it a bit weird, she said she would request it and once they get the report they would send a copy, I received a text the next day, 25th to say they'd now received the report.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I would ring again to request it because it seems like they didn't send it because it shouldn't take that long to receive it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • CL10
    CL10 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    @Elizabeth1 - That's really good that you got your award

@WF2k - Good luck with you claim and I hope you get good news soon
  • Elizabeth1
    Options
    @WF2k try ringing capita it might of gone for an audit like mine it was weeks before it was sent to the DWP. @CL10 thank you 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ok thanks Poppy, I'll ask my Son to give them a call :)

It was sent to the DWP the day after my Son requested it @Elizabeth1 but it was with Capita for 3 weeks before they sent it, I'm sure if the DWP hadn't have requested it that it would have taken longer.

Thanks CL10
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No problem. Sometimes reports are chosen for audit, if this happens it can delay to process in returning them to DWP. It sounds like yours was one of those.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.