Disability Related Expenditure — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability Related Expenditure

Options
JoanneF
JoanneF Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello, I am new and am looking for some help and Support.

My daugher is 27 and is diagnosed with Impulsive EUPD and a learning disability.  

Social Services are billing me for her care because nobody has completed a disability related expenditure form.  I have now been told that I have to complete this, I never have before and really dont know where to start.

Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Joanne

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use a excel spreadsheet to help with finances. Each week I review it with my partner. We make sure to apply for all forms of financial assistance for our son. Do you have a social worker or not? They should be able to help you figure out what to do. Why don’t you talk to one? I also use apps to help me keep on top of the finances. Also talk to the bank they might also be able to help you out. 
  • JoanneF
    Options
    I have court of protection over my daughters tenancy and finance but that is completely separate.  This is literally to see what can be claimed for because of her disabilities I think against how much she would contribute towards her care from social services.  The social worker before did all this for us but the current social worker is not very helpful to say the least.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 504 Pioneering
    Options
    Some local authorities provide a list of the sorts of things they will take into account as being disability related expenses (and so they discount them when assessing what people can afford to pay) so for example if you need to do more loads of washing because of incontinence or messy eating this should be calculated, or if there are  special equipment purchases etc etc.  Anything that is specifically needed because of disability and for which the disabled person has to pay should not be counted as "spare" income which can be put towards care, but you have to document it carefully and fully.
  • JoanneF
    Options
    Thank you do you know if there is a template anywhere that would be useful please

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would talk to your local council. They should definitely be able to help you out. What sort of things do you absolutely need? There are lots of charities that help disabled people in this country access training opportunities and adaptive equipment too. Because of my son’s bladder issues we have to do a lot more washing than other families in town. This is taken into account when I am asked about our finances.
    Have you tried Facebook or the DLF? They have all sorts of equipment to loan. Take a look at the website for more information. For example my son also needed a wheelchair. We then approached the family fund at the recommendation of a social worker and managed to acquire a wheelchair for him that way. 
    Get as much information as you can possibly find. 
  • JoanneF
    Options

Brightness