Carers Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Allowance

keeper251
keeper251 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
I claim Carer's Allowance for my hubby (Cerebral palsy), but I reach 65 at the beginning of June - hubby was 65 in March 2018.  My state retirement date is 6 January 2020.  Where do I stand with still claiming CA and how will I claim the Carer's Premium when the time comes?  Any advice welcomed

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @keeper251

I have moved your post over to the CA board where you should be able to get more help and advice on this. :smiley:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You won't be able to claim carers allowance and state pension because they are overlapping benefits. It may still be worth you claiming it because you may have an underlying entitlement to it because of the carers premium. Whether you'll receive the carers premium will depend on your circumstances at the time, as it's paid in with pension credit.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • keeper251
    keeper251 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Thank you poppy123456 for your response.

I will have to have a look at pension credit.  Is it means tested, do you know?  We weren't eligible for Working Tax Credit because we had too much in savings, but because I'm a 1950s baby and not able to claim my State Pension for another 8-9 months, we've had to dip into our savings from time to time.  If it is means tested, then we probably won't be eligible.  We only have about £14 in savings in the bank but we have some shares too.  It's not a lot, but collectively it amounts to about £30-34K!!

I will look into Pension Credit and see what the criteria is and whether we are eligible - although with the new rules, we won't be able to claim until I reach my State Pension next January, will I, or can we claim pension credit from my 65th birthday?  Questions, questions!!

Thanks again
    Carole

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Working tax credits isn't mean tested and savings don't affect it. Interest over £300 does affect it. Earnings affect tax credits but new claims for this are no longer possible.

Yes, pension credit is means tested and savings/capital of £10,000 and over affect it £1 for every £500 over than amount. Based on what you said above then this will be a deduction of £68 per week and could mean you won't be able to claim it.

The new rules for pension credit start on 15th May https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/eligibility

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.