Health of a Nation PIP claims — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Health of a Nation PIP claims

Options
twonker
twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
Not too sure what these DWP stats mean.

Is it that those with psychiatric and muscular issues are more likely than any other group of conditions likely to get an award. Or is it that the top two groups are more likely to make a PIP claim than the other groups?

732,000 (36%) were recorded with ‘Psychiatric disorders’ (which includes ‘Mixed anxiety and depressive disorders’ and ‘Mood disorders’).  424,000 (21%) were recorded with ‘Musculoskeletal disease (general)’ (which includes ‘Osteoarthritis’). 
100,000 ( 5%) Respiratory disease approx
80,000   (4%)  Cardiovascular disease approx
65,000   (3%)  Malignant disease approx.

Either way if this is a sample of how our health and disabilities affect us in Britain, you are just under ten times more likely to suffer from a psychiatric condition than have a heart condition and nearly eleven times more likely than to have cancer.

Looking at those statistics UK residents are on balance quite a healthy bunch.

Comments

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    From a DWP circular:
    >At the end of January 2019:
    >Main disabling condition for people in receipt of PIP (normal rules):
    >732,000 (36%) were recorded with ‘Psychiatric disorders’ (which includes >‘Mixed anxiety and depressive disorders’ and ‘Mood disorders’).
    >424,000 (21%) were recorded with ‘Musculoskeletal disease (general)’ >(which includes ‘Osteoarthritis’).

>Of those claims that have had an assessment:
    >82% of new claims and 88% of reassessment claims are recorded as >having one of the following most common disabling conditions: Psychiatric >disorders (which includes mixed anxiety and depressive disorders), >Musculoskeletal disease (general or regional), Neurological disease, >Respiratory disease.

>For new claims, assessment award rates vary between 56% (331,000) for >claimants recorded as having Psychiatric disorders, and 64% (211,000) for >claimants recorded as having Musculoskeletal disease (general).
    >For reassessment claims, assessment award rates vary between 74% >(402,000) for claimants recorded as having Psychiatric disorders, and >86% (214,000) for claimants recorded as having a Musculoskeletal >disease (general).

I suspect that psychiatric disorders and MSK diseases are simply the most common disabling conditions in the population, but that's just a guess. It could also be that they're the most likely to claim, or it could be both. For new claims and reassessments, awards for Psych Disorders were granted for 56% and 74%. For MSK Diseases, 64% and 86% were awarded. I went and looked at the numbers from the DWP's site, and claims for several classes of other disability/illness were granted at much higher rates.

*shrug*

• twonker
    Options
    ilovecats said:
    Those stats are taken from the summary of illnesses that the assessor codes at the end.

Near enough everyone who comes in with a physical illness also has anxiety and/or depression as well or is taking medication for their mental health. 

This is why it it seems so high. More than one illness code is applied to most people, mixed anxiety and depression is applied to most people.

Chronic physical illness normally equals depression as well.
    Does it?
    However I note you say normally.
    If a GP diagnoses depression due to a chronic physical illness and he prescribes anti depressants, surely the depression would in the main be resolved. I have several chronic conditions AND was diagnosed with depression and with taking medication the depression has lifted - well the assessor reported so!
  • siobhan1
    siobhan1 Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    Options
    It's a misconception to think that mental is health is "resolved" just by taking antidepressants. Mental ill health in people with physical disabilities is common because of things like the affect their illness has on their life. I don't personally know anyone with my condition who hasnt at some point admitted it affects their mental health, whether on antidepressants or not.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    @siobhan1 The first 2 questions I was asked at the Pain Clinic were, "Have you been diagnosed with any mental illnesses?" and "Are you on antidepressants?" They said that upwards of 70% of newish chronic pain patients suffer from depression and/or anxiety, and many continue to suffer from them for years.

@twonker Did your depression resolve with antidepressants? I've been on 14 psych meds since 1995 for refractory recurring major depression and generalised anxiety disorder, and more recently had BPD and C-PTSD added to my diagnoses. Some didn't help, some did, but all stopped working over time. :/
  • twonker
    Options
    siobhan1 said:
    It's a misconception to think that mental is health is "resolved" just by taking antidepressants. Mental ill health in people with physical disabilities is common because of things like the affect their illness has on their life. I don't personally know anyone with my condition who hasnt at some point admitted it affects their mental health, whether on antidepressants or not.
    Well if I listed what my issues are you would assume that I am not long for this world. But, yes I was diagnosed by the psychiatrist as being depressed amongst other mental health issues (C-PTSD) which was upwards of 20 years ago. The various medications that I have been on and still on (200mg Sertraline daily) has worked wonders. I have learned what the triggers are and avoid those situations which together has help me beat it. Of course my physical issues are a worry to me as well as the pain that I am in almost daily do get me down but you do learn that when you are down the only way is up. 

As for having the mental health recognised by the DWP assessors, none has found any trace of it so obviously I must be doing something right.

When I used to go to the pain clinic, it's been a few years since I dropped off their radar, they used to link my physical problems as making the depression worse. Since they put me on the various pain relief meds - no pain - no depression.  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.