Advice on PIP appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on PIP appeal

edwards123
edwards123 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi.  Will no doubt be seeking help for our daughters PIP award she has just lost.  We are appealing and taking it further.

Comments

• edwards123
    My daughter was seen by an Occupational Therapist at her Assessment.  She has severe ADHD, Personality Disorder, Anxiety and stress related issues.  She was originally awarded enhanced  PIP award, but following this last Assessment went down to six points which means she has lost her PIP.  Plus as she was awarded severe disability allowance on ESA that too has gone...in total nearly £600 per month has been lost. Despite forwarding all necessary GP reports, invoices for private ADHD coaching, Consultants reports and ADHD Clinical Nurse reports. Wouldn't you think that someone who knows about Mental Health should do the Assessment?   Her condition has deteriorated, so things are not good.  We are appealing.  Any further advice please?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019

Hello @edwards123 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear this has happened. I know this is a difficult time.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

Please can I suggest that you consider getting some intervention with your appeal.

I have mental health issues my self and have had to contact some additional support for my benefit situation.

I used a mental health charity. Which helped me with not only assessments but looking at my benefit situation.  Also my mental health and wellbeing.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk

Had assessments with floating support in attendance did help.

To reassure you.

Please can add we do have Mental Health  Officer on the Scope Team as well.

Tagged him in. @MickConnon   . Hopefully he can give more advice and support.

You have come to the right place. For support, advice and information.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • edwards123
    edited May 2019
    Thank you so much for getting in touch.  Really appreciate.  Yes I did note that @MickConnon was on the site, so will either contact him or he may see my message first.
    i think it would help if the DWP letters were more straight forward to understand. Both my husband and I could not understand a letter re ESA and spent three hours two days  ago waiting to get through. Eventually, yesterday at 08.01 am got through.  My daughter just wouldn't understand any official letter that comes through the post. Thanks again
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @edwards123 Thank you for reply. One of the big problems is the confusion and complexities of benefits.

Every thing around it.  One of the organisations you could contact is CAB. Another suggestion. Having some one face to face talking to you can be useful.

One of the other reasons suggested mental health charity. Understand go all the support and care. Your daughter has .

Sometimes just because has that. Does not mean has to accept what is available.

Every one is entitled to good mental health and care.

Many charities have in house welfare support. Often advisors or specific members of staff to give your daughter the opportunities to deal with her situation.  Signposting just some ideas and suggestions.

Coping methods and strategies.

This is something I had to do with my own personal circumstances.

Hopefully our staff member @MickConnon_Scope can give a lot of reassurance.  Be able to give any answers you have.

Wish you well.

Pleasure to meet you.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • edwards123
    Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @edwards123 please keep us updated and if you have further questions, please let us know. ;)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.