Re: benefit sanctions. What parts of the benefits do you loose under a DWP sanction. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Re: benefit sanctions. What parts of the benefits do you loose under a DWP sanction.

Government_needs_reform
Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering

Hi all, I'm on a fact finding mission regarding benefit sanctions.

I wonder if anyone could try and answer this in relation to “benefit sanctions”

If a claimant gets a sanction whether it be for say 3 to 6 months, is it for the main part of the said benefit, ie £73.10. JSA, ESA, UC.

Or is all these sanctioned as well, ie housing, SDP, enhanced premium.

Im trying to get the right answers to this .

Looking forward to anyone’s views to this. . 

Thanks in advance.

⬇️
I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello my friend,

If a person is sanctioned and they're claiming ESA/JSA or Income Support then it comes off the whole of the benefit claim, not part of it.

Housing benefit isn't part of any of those benefits so that's not affected.

If someone claims UC because it's multiple benefits in one payment then the sanction reduces the whole award, so could affect the amount of housing element they receive for that month.

Hope this helps. Take care :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Government_needs_reform
    edited May 2019
    Thanks my friend ❤️ for a timely reply @poppy123456 this is helpful, so what your saying is people on IS,JSA and ESA will loose the whole £73.10 benefit! Which is what I am thinking was the case.

So in effect the added premiums like SDP or the enhanced premium under ESA could be lost too? 

UC. Yes the killer benefit. I find that would be the devil in the detail situation.
    So in real terms have a sanction under UC ultimately can decent you straight down a hill into a bottomless pit.  

Poppy I always thought a sanction was only ever made on the £73.10 and not on housing or the premiums.
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• poppy123456
    You're welcome!

The sanction is given on the whole benefit but of course it will depend on how much the sanction is. For ESA those in the Support Group can't be sanctioned. Only those in the WRAG can be sanctioned. If you're sanctioned and you're claiming the legacy benefits then it won't affect your housing benefit because this isn't part of ESA/JSA or Income Support. Housing benefit is claimed from a local council not DWP.

Yes indeed, sanctions on UC are not good!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    @poppy123456 my friend I agree with you 100% here regarding the ESA SG. I agree the housing element is also paid differently, ie council of LA.

I know the WRAG is sanctionable, as is UC.

What puzzles me Poppy is what the bloody hell do people do, this situation is so wrong on many counts.

Think I will keep taking the pills methinks. ?
    ⬇️

• poppy123456
    @Government_needs_reform i have no idea what people do to be honest. UC sanctions are even worse than the legacy benefits.
    @poppy123456 I know it's shocking how this is allowed to continue with them.

Also poppy more bad news regarding the DWP they are going ahead with one assessment for ESA,UC PIP.

Just updated poppy. I can't believe what the DWP are doing.
    Read the full story and link in my signature below on how the DWP are following this route
    ⬇️

• poppy123456
    I have no idea how that could possibly work because as they stated in that report "they are 2 completely different benefits" --- help us, if this does happen....
    I have no idea how that could possibly work because as they stated in that report "they are 2 completely different benefits" --- help us, if this does happen....
    @poppy123456 it's the DWP where talking about here, they will try and make it work because they want to cause more heartache for us.

As we both know. I wrote this a while ago poppy.

⬇️

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Government_needs_reform, on UC sanctions are 100% of the 'standard allowance' but this amount is taken from the total UC entitlement not a particular element and doesn't take into account having to make repayments for advances or any arrears etc. 

Did you see the news yesterday that they are ending all sanctions that last longer than 6 months? Previously they could last to up to 3 years!
    To help make ends meet during that time, UC recipients can apply for a 'Hardship Payment' which is a loan that they then pay back from their future UC payments. :(
    Community Manager
    Scope
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Government_needs_reform, on UC sanctions are 100% of the 'standard allowance' but this amount is taken from the total UC entitlement not a particular element and doesn't take into account having to make repayments for advances or any arrears etc.
    Did you see the news yesterday that they are ending all sanctions that last longer than 6 months? Previously they could last to up to 3 years!
    To help make ends meet during that time, UC recipients can apply for a 'Hardship Payment' which is a loan that they then pay back from their future UC payments. :(

@Adrian_Scope Thanks for the extra info regarding sanctions.

It makes sense in what your saying, as I was on a fact finding mission to understand how the sanctions work.

Yes I did see what A Rudd has stated and really it's still not good enough, she said it's not coming in till the end of the year? they should scrap them altogether.

Adrian I have been toying when the Managed Migration starts I'm not gonna claim UC as you may know they are gonna do ONE assessment for UC/PIP.

I'm on PIP ongoing and don't want to jeopardise it by having this ONE assessment.

Read about Adrian in my signature below and tell me what you think of the DWP's plans for this one assessment.
    ⬇️

• poppy123456

Thanks for explaining that. I knew the sanction was taken from the total entitlement but just didn't explain it properly.

I didn't see the news yesterday but blimey i didn't know a sanction could have lasted 3 years! 6 months is better but still totally disgusting.

Hmm, yes the hardship payments on top of the sanction, they just love to push the claimant even further into debt and hardship. :(

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.