PIP Appeal wait timescale - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Appeal wait timescale

Comments

• easilyconfused
    easilyconfused Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi all, So happy (sad) to see others waiting so long for PIP court appeal date. Daughter (25) had been getting DLA for years,  (Autism, Aspergers Syndrome, depression, chronic OCD +) attended her ATOS assessment and received no points (because, I believe, she looks fine!).
    That was in March, still waiting for appeal date. Rang and was told it would be roughly January. The stress this has caused my daughter has been immense and she struggles on her ESA.
    My question today is, if she wins appeal will she get payments backdated?
    I have also lost my Carers Allowance I was receiving for her. Thanks in advance! 
  • manhead666
    manhead666 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi all, I was told today if your wait for PIP court appeal was more than a year for a date  then they wouldn't have to pay you back  the money they would owe you if your appeal was successful does anyone know if this is true
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all, I was told today if your wait for PIP court appeal was more than a year for a date  then they wouldn't have to pay you back  the money they would owe you if your appeal was successful does anyone know if this is true
    Not sure who told you that. If you win a Tribunal then you'll be backdated the money owed, eventually.

The only exception to this would be if they found an error in law and appealed that decision. If you lost that appeal you would be backdated any money.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • manhead666
    manhead666 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Not sure who told you that. If you win a Tribunal then you'll be backdated the money owed, eventually.

The only exception to this would be if they found an error in law and appealed that decision. If you lost that appeal you would be backdated any money.

Ok thanks for the info
  • davedj44
    davedj44 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    I'm still waiting 40 weeks on, phoned up and was told it was a guideline, I'll be notified by post but not given any idea when that will be. Add that to the 6 weeks from mandatory reconsideration  it's going to go over 12 months  It's so frustrating  
  • blueboy87
    blueboy87 Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Hi all I’ve not been on for a while my brother has been waiting since July for an appeal still not heard anything we are from Middlesbrough does anyone know what the waiting time is thanks
  • davedj44
    I've been waiting a total of 47 weeks including the pointless mandatory reconsideration appeal and still nothing. By the time I eventually get a hearing its looks like over a year of waiting. As each week passes I feel more and more exasperated. I've never been so low in my mood in the 54 years I've been alive. I just feel like this is never going to end. 
  • poppy123456
    There's huge backlogs in a lot of areas and some are waiting in excess of 1 year, not including the MR waiting time. If you ring HMCTS they will give you some idea of how much longer you have to wait.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • davedj44
    Hi poppy. I have stopped ringing the phone line now, because my waiting time has exceeded the average they were giving for Liverpool they won't give expected times now. I've registered my number for online updates, all the tracking does if outline details so far  So it's back to the frustration of waiting. I have to say my anxiety has never been so bad. My adhd symptoms and ptsd have gone through the roof. 
  • easilyconfused
    easilyconfused Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi davdj44, all I can say is don’t despair my daughter (25 & in Liverpool, ASD) waited a year for her appeal date which eventually came through last month, she thankfully won after a very stressful wait! Hang in there and don’t give up hope! Good luck xxxxxx
  • davedj44
    Thank you for your message 
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry to hear your condition has got worse. Unfortunately, the Tribunal can only take into consideration what you were like at the time the decision was made.

Fingers crossed it won't be too much longer for a hearing date. Good luck.
  • davedj44
    I appreciate that, my health issues were bad enough before this, it's just helped to make a difficult situation so much worse  
  • cagsym
    cagsym Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited November 2022
    Hi I am also waiting for tribunal date I was on DLA awarded for life then got told it would change to pip what a diabolical shambles the process is ! I've rang dwp to ask how long the wait is to be told 47 weeks in the meantime the disability car has to go back and in financial difficulty having lost the benefit DLA while waiting for PIP I have wrote to my MP  to question why nothing is being done to reduce the time waiting . Mike [removed by moderator] thank you for you advice I'll take that on board . I'm in Liverpool too so I'd advise anyone in same situ to write to their local MP good luck
  • poppy123456
    It's not the DWP you need to ring to ask what the current waiting times are in your area for Tribunals, it's HMCTS.
  • freckles
    freckles Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    I had to wait 54 weeks for my appeal
  • Gerald
    Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Hi to everyone, appreciate this question may have been asked a thousand times already but here goes. 

My wife is disabled and has been waiting on an appeal time date for 29 weeks now and still we haven't heard anything, we've rang the appeals service but  they say they can't give a date when the appeal will be heard.

We are struggling financially and she has had a lot of hospital appointments lately, these hospital appointments all entail a round trip of 130 miles and the constant worry about the PIP appeal and the possible outcome is adding to her ill health.

Any pointers on how long the maximum waiting times for an appeal to be heard would be gratefully received.

Just for Info purposes,  she was initially on DLA and was transferred to PIP and had been on it for  3 years, in April last year she was assessed by a nurse from Atos and went from previously been awarded Enhanced Daily Living/Standard Mobility Component to zero points.  
    This is me now have a date for my PIP Tribunal as I have been on the list for it from Feb 2018 and now I have a date which is on the 17/05/19  next week at last now all I have to do is get ready for it and keep my head and not let my mental health problems and my disabilities get on top of me on the day.
  • sassysailor
    sassysailor Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi guys, I've just read though from the original post and wow you all have been waiting a long time!

I'm in chester, waiting times are upwards of 12 months.

I have PTSD and still awaiting treatment but was awarded mobility straight away which was odd as I can't go outside ?

I am represented by a charity called DIAL and they have been fantastic.
    With my condition I find it hard to concentrate and grow increasingly frustrated with the simplest of tasks which leads to dissociation which in turn makes me worse (kind of a lose lose situation) so for anyone feeling at a loss I would highly recommend searching for your local dial or any disability charity because with out them I wouldn't of even known about pip or an increase in UC that I'm entitled to.

I've been off work since January last year and only just found out about pip so don't be like me ? seek help you will always find it, good luck everyone also can't wait to hear your outcomes from appeals when we all get there xoxo
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    The mobility is to help you to maybe go outside.
  • sassysailor
    sassysailor Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Matilda said:
    The mobility is to help you to maybe go outside.
    Well how silly of them because that isn't happening haha 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.