PIP Report — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Report

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello,

I just got a copy of my PIP report and well, lets just say, it's nothing like my first assessment report, I'm not going to go into fully because I don't want to sound like I'm moaning, I will just say that it looks like my award is going from enhanced to standard and that the assessor wasn't exactly honest and even scored me points in something I told him I didn't have problems with... I'm just going to wait for the decision letter and ask Welfare Rights to help with the MR, I've made them aware of the report. It was recorded so I'll have it transcribed if needed.

Just a question, if you get standard for both does anything change in regards to Carers? (my Son is my carer) Is there anything else that I need to be aware of? Also, he's put a review in 2 years, does that mean it'll be 3 but the usual 12 months early? Oh and I also lose the enhanced premium *sigh*.

I was just wondering, is it worth complaining to the assessment company about him telling lies? I mean they do have a copy of the recording.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019
    Hi @WF2K sorry to hear what has happened, has your son been in receipt of carers allowance?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • [Deleted User]
    Yeah he has and thank you.
  • Ami2301
    edited May 2019
    As for anything else, I am unsure but hopefully our community members will be in contact soon to shed some light.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, 

the carers allowance will continue because you just need a daily living award of PIP. 

The enhanced disability premium is automatically paid if paid of in support group of ESA. If in the WRAG it will stop because you need Enhanced daily living. 

If it suggests review in 2 years it will be 2 years with a 3 year award. They usually go with the report. Of course you’ll need to wait for the decision before requesting the MR.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • davet
    davet Community member Posts: 77 Courageous
    Hi
    I can only comment on your question regarding making a complaint to the assessing company,

I complained to mine regarding how points were actually missed on the assessors reportand how some of his comments were shall we say misleading, I suffered a stroke which left my left leg very weak and with a mind of its own, during my assessment I was asked to loosely cross my left leg over my right knee without using my hands, in my attempt to swing my leg over I lost my balance and fell onto the desk, the assessor even made a joke about it saying"be careful we dont want you leaving more disabled than when you arrived yet his report said that I completed all exercises he asked me to do, he also commented that at the end of the assessment I easily bent over and picked my bag up from the floor, however he did not mention that I was sitting in a chair at the time. I got a letter from them full of waffle about how they employ professional staff. I kept my complaint and their response just in case I needed it at some later date but as expected my complaint resolved nothing
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2019
    @Ami2301 check what Poppy said above :) 

Thank you @poppy123456 I'm in WRAG which a tribunal put me in, never bothered to appeal it because I didn't think I could.
  • [Deleted User]
    @davet thanks for that, so there's pretty much no point in complaining then?
  • Ami2301
    I apologise @WF2K I should have double checked. Benefits are confusing sometimes!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    When writing the letter for the MR you should concentrate on where you think you should have scored those points and why, adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

This guide may help you understand the descriptors more.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    Thanks @poppy123456 but I think Welfare Rights will be doing the MR, I'll discuss that with them, I had already checked the link you have pasted and I was pretty honest and even marked myself down on a couple (gave myself less than what the first assessor did). I don't think I'll get anywhere with the MR though and I'm not sure about the tribunal either.
  • carmy
    carmy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    WF2k said:
    Hello,

I just got a copy of my PIP report and well, lets just say, it's nothing like my first assessment report, I'm not going to go into fully because I don't want to sound like I'm moaning, I will just say that it looks like my award is going from enhanced to standard and that the assessor wasn't exactly honest and even scored me points in something I told him I didn't have problems with... I'm just going to wait for the decision letter and ask Welfare Rights to help with the MR, I've made them aware of the report. It was recorded so I'll have it transcribed if needed.

Just a question, if you get standard for both does anything change in regards to Carers? (my Son is my carer) Is there anything else that I need to be aware of? Also, he's put a review in 2 years, does that mean it'll be 3 but the usual 12 months early? Oh and I also lose the enhanced premium *sigh*.

I was just wondering, is it worth complaining to the assessment company about him telling lies? I mean they do have a copy of the recording.

Thanks in advance
    Personally i would appeal, if you go to welfare rights onto your case, they will help you all the way, they know what they are doing. They will help you to fight your case. Medical evidence is handy! Good luck!

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2019
    Don't really have any medical evidence due to treatment either not working (for mental health, which my previous GP sent a letter in for my first claim and stated this and I was awarded enhanced) or the GP won't refer me in regards to my fibromyalgia.. so yeah, bit stuck really. Will see what Welfare Rights has to say.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @WF2k - you say that the assessor has scored you points in one area where you said you didn't have a problem.

I'm not familiar with the MR process but isn't there a strong possibility that DWP will take these points away?

Welfare rights will advise you best - just be careful that you don't end up worse off after MR!!

• madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    It helps to have something to show you really have a problem, but to be honest they ignore anything you give them if they like, we had doctors, physio, consultants report, all (except doctors) showing what was wrong, what the effect was, and how damaged the nerves effecting the ability to stand or walk, and a ex-nurse come fitness/physio ignored all of it and put down "fit n able" (shortened version) the Caloric test are hard to fake as you cant control the automatic eye movement and its used to show the vestibular balance level, sadly the nurse had no idea what the reports were or was able to understand them.
    When I complained the supervisor said the report was fit for use, but had errors and the assessor would be advised, he did not understand the test either, were waiting on the reply back as it was escalated to the next level.

Even with evidence which shows your not faking and details of the operation/consultants report you can still fall foul of "Bad day blues" we knew the assessment was going to be like this as the way she pushed the hospitals reports aside, I had to stop them falling on the floor, she took an instant dislike to us, and its not my imagination, I wish we could have used video. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2019
    @cristobal in all honesty, I'm more concerned that he's swept my mental health problems to one side and yet I've never had treatment for fibromyalgia but he sounds like he's taken my physical health more seriously, I've had different treatments for my mental health but nothing has worked, nothing has changed from the first assessment which the assessor acknowledged that I have mental health problems and they had a letter from my then GP to say that I had tried different things etc. I do have evidence, it's old but still relevant, nothing has changed since the psychiatrist diagnosed me and did his report. There were a lot of things he said that was untrue, but I'm not going to bore everyone with it. I also don't want to come across as someone who is angry because they had their award lowered, it's not that that's bothered me, there is enough stigma attached to mental health problems without this sort of thing adding to it.

@madquasimodo yeah, I've seen a lot of people say they don't even pay attention to your evidence. They look like they ignored the two letters that were sent in to them and do they even read letters/evidence when you do a MR? doesn't sound like it half of the time, I thought Amber Rudd was meant to be doing something about it.

I'm slightly annoyed with Welfare Rights as well but I won't go into that, I'll speak to them about it. 

Anyway, I'm going to shut up about it and wait for the decision because moaning won't help any.

Take care everyone :) 

• cristobal
    @WF2k - I don't disagree with what you're saying...

When I got my assessment back there were some bits that were so completely wrong that I wanted them put right.It wasn't about money. My thinking was that if I allowed them to go uncorrected then it might make things more difficult when there was a review.
  • [Deleted User]
    Yeah, it's pretty much like being called a liar but I was properly diagnosed with my mental health problems by a psychiatrist who did a full report, I did give the to Welfare Rights but they didn't send it, same as they didn't do 2 - 3 examples on my review from, I knew in my gut that it was going to go wrong because  of the officers attitude, he was very **** sure of himself and wouldn't give me the right advice in regards to medical evidence, just said the onus was on them to prove I had gotten better and then when my Son asked another officer about it, this was his response in regards to evidence:

"Normally we do not need supporting evidence until taking the case further into a Mandatory Reconsideration. I believe that the health care professional will be asking the relevant questions and making their assessment during the home visit. We will normally write to the GP on behalf of your mother when this is required. I believe that the case needs to be assessed and a decision made first before we seek further evidence, if the outcome isn’t to the points we believe your mother should be awarded."

I don't even know if that's correct? I've emailed them and told them I'm not happy because of what the assessor put in his report in regards to the questionnaire, he kept saying it wasn't stated on the questionnaire but he knew I didn't fill it in, he asked.
  • cristobal
    @WF2K - I'm not a benefit adviser, just a claimant like yourself, but that doesn't sound correct to me...if I've read it correctly they're saying "Put this in, and if you're not successful then we'll send supporting evidence" Maybe I've misunderstood?

Fortunately there's lots of advice on here about the way forward although, as far as I can see, probably best not to bank on anything changing at MR!

Good luck anyway...
  • [Deleted User]
    Yes that's exactly how my brain read it too! Glad it's not just me lol.

Nah, I'm not banking on the MR but I know you have to do it to get the the appeal part, sadly.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.