we often feel isolated and struggle to access the real world.. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

we often feel isolated and struggle to access the real world..

KayJayD
KayJayD Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, I'm new and have no idea what happens here. I'm disabled, my partner is also disabled and we care for each other.. we often feel isolated and struggle to access the real world..

Comments

• Gerald
    Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Hello KayJayD  welcome to the community. I’m Gerald all the best :):)
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KayJayD welcome to the community! You're not alone as many of our community members will be able to relate! Would you like to tell us a bit about yourself? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @KayJayD and welcome to our community. How are you doing today? I completely understand about that feeling of isolation. Is there anything in particular you need support with?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KayJayD

Welcome I’m one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We are a very very friendly/supportive bunch on here.

Please please let me have a good look ? around & please let me know if you have any problems/questions??

@steve51

• bendy_bonnie
    bendy_bonnie Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Hi, thanks for your reply on my post. My partner and I both have disabilities too. I know how you feel!
  • Edster77
    Edster77 Community member Posts: 162 Courageous
  • KayJayD
    Thanks everyone for a warm welcome. 
    My main problem would be having things to look forward to. I read once that all you need to be happy if someone to love - that's my wife- something to do, and something to look forward to. It's hard to plan when you don't know how you're health is going to be at any given time, added on to the physical problems of disabled access or accessible toilets etc etc.. I'm sure everyone's had experience of that.
    I'd like to book a trip away for our anniversary next month, but it's so frustrating - past experiences, hotels that advertise as disabled access, then have 15 steps at the entrance - but if you go to reception there's a ramp - reception there's at the top of the steps.. its often like an episode of Fawlty towers..
  • Jackwood
    Jackwood Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Where abouts do you live KayJayD?
  • KayJayD
    We live in Surrey.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KayJayD and welcome to the community! I can relate to finding it difficult to forward plan as a result of health- it can be very frustrating and disheartening! Have you heard of Euan's guide? This has reviews of places all over the world. All reviews look at disability access and have been written by disabled people who have visited it. I hope this helps if you do go away for your anniversary :)
    Scope

• KayJayD
    Thanks, we haven't heard of that, but will definitely check it out. Thanks.

Brightness