Re change of circumstances for my p I p — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Re change of circumstances for my p I p

gerrys6
gerrys6 Community member Posts: 171 Courageous
my illnesses have worsened  for ages now but I’m scared to let the p I p know (how do I let them know?) I’ve read that I could end up losing the whole thing ? Is this true and also will I have to go for another assessment my p I p award is until 7/2020 if I put in a change now will they treat it as a new claim ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If your award ends in July 2020 then you'll be sent your review form around July 2019 because reviews take place 1 year before the award is due to end.

If your review isn't due until 2020 then before reporting a change of circumstances then you need to look at the PIP descriptors to see if or where you could score extra points for a higher award. A worsening of condition doesn't mean you will score more points for a higher award.

If you do report a change of circumstances then you'll be sent more forms and a face to face assessment will most likely be needed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gerrys6
    So to report a change of circumstances do I just phone up and say it’s got worse is it from then that they look at my claim again or after they receive the form back ? 
    I was getting more before my last award and they took off the mobility element (I think I’ll have to hunt the papers down) I got that back on mr with the help of c a b ...who told me to appeal it again because in their opinion I should have gotten more or at least the mobility lower award back but I couldn’t be bothered with the stress and made do with it but now the mobility is worse arthritis in more limbs along with other things going wrong. Maybe c a b would advise again whether I’d get enough points in their view. They are so hard to get an appt with now tho so I don’t know if I can take the chance. 
    I was expecting that my review papers would arrive this July as I remember the last time on those do I then just say it’s gotten worse and explain rather than phoning to say it’s a change !!??? Help !!  
  • poppy123456
    When reporting a change of circumstances if your given a higher award then it's backdated to the date you reported those changes.

You need to get some face to face advice before reporting any worsening condition. People report changes for a worsening condition and end up losing everything they already had.

As your review is due in 2 months it maybe worth your while just waiting for the review forms. If you wait for those forms you should treat the review as a new claim and put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you, if you're worse tell them. You should also put 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Evidence will be needed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • gerrys6
    I should have reported it a long time ago after I was awarded two years ago last year I had an operation on my knee and it’s not helped and I’m about to have physio to try strengthen both knees before more  surgery however I’ve now got arthritis in most places been to doctors who done blood tests on me to see was it rheumatoid. 
    Plus for very real reasons my mental health has gotten worse I’ve been on and off tablets since my last award and the doctor is aware so do u not think I should put in a change of circumstances still I’m on the lowest rate for daily living on my last award they took away my lowest rate mobility when it has now got worse from when I was awarded it three years prior to that. 

• gerrys6
    Plus my award  review letter arrives around the very end of July ... I think my medical was somewhere around September two years ago this September 
  • poppy123456
    No one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risks to your current award when putting in a change of circumstances.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. You need to look at the descriptors to see where you could score those points for a higher award. A worsening condition doesn't mean you're entitled to a higher award.

Please get some face to face advice from an agency near you.
  • gerrys6

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.