My Tips If You Are Going From DLA to PIP or Starting On PIP For The First Time — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My Tips If You Are Going From DLA to PIP or Starting On PIP For The First Time

Gerald
Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello all this is just some tips that I hope will help someone that is going from DLA to PIP and for if you are just starting on PIP                                                                                                                                         Number 1 if you are just going on to PIP get help with the form from CAB and get you letters from doctors and make a copy of them to send in with your form and you keep your original copy from your doctor and that is the same if you are moving from DLA to PIP and this is for both at the back of the form ask that your assessment is recorded this bit is if you are going from DLA to PIP ask them add you evidence from you DLA to with your new evidence.                                                                                                                              Number 2 when you get your PIP assessment day ring the place that you have wish to have your assessment recorded as you have put in your form if they tell you that they don't do that ask them to send you a letter as to the reasons now when you go have someone with you as you may be nerves and for get something on the day and if you have to see a doctor for new test or your medication to add to your evidence and the same if they will not ask for a letter as to the reasons for that.                                                                            Number 3 If you end up going to a Mandatory Reconsideration on your PIP ask if CAB can help you with this ring the DWP and ask for a copy of your assessment report as to how there decision If you disagree with a decision which part the daily living part or the  mobility part or both and your reasons and all so send a copy of letters if they did not do your assessment recorded and if they did not take you new evidence on the day of your assessment on the day.                                                                                                                     Number 4 If you still get the same decision and now wish to take it to Tribunal  ask for the CAB to fill in the form for this and if they can send someone with you it might be able to get someone like an adviser from CAB to help as your representative during the appeal, but they’re not always available phone straight away if you want to change the date - it should be for a good reason (eg a hospital appointment )  read through all the information the tribunal service sends you so you know what to expect send any new evidence to the tribunal - try not to turn up with lots of new evidence on the day arrange for a family member or friend to go with you for moral support, if you feel it would help the judge will introduce the tribunal and explain what it’s for - they might call you ‘the appellant’ and the DWP ‘the respondent’ they’ll ask you questions about your reasons for appealing, and get you to describe things like what you do on an average day if someone from the DWP is there, the judge will also ask them questions if someone goes with you, they might be asked if they want to say anything once everyone has had a chance to speak, you will be asked if there’s anything more you’d like to say - so if there’s anything you want to add or clarify, you can you'll be asked to leave the room while a decision is made you’ll be called back into the room and told the decision, although occasionally you may have to wait 3 to 5 days to get a decision letter in the post On the day of your Tribunal Try not to feel too anxious about being asked questions. The board won’t be hostile towards you - they want to hear more about how your condition affects you so they can make the right decision Don’t be embarrassed to talk about how your condition affects you - it’s really important the panel gets a true picture of your daily life ask the judge or doctor to repeat any questions you don’t understand and that's about it all so go to the Tribunal as its better you go than have a paper one and not go.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Hope this helps someone as I know how hard it is to do this and at times you will get to the point of thinking is it me who is wrong and are there assessment of me right and it will play on your mind well all I have to say about that is if you need help with this always ask you are not alone with this it will push you to the limit with your disabilities and if you have mental health problems to as it did with me but you are stronger person if you ask for help as we all need help sometimes and that's it if this just helps one person it good and the is always the Scope's online community to as someone may know something more that will help.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If you want your PIP assessment recorded, first you need permission and  currently you have to supply the equipment capable of making two simultaneous copies either to CD or cassette tape.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Gerald
    OK on your form for PIP at the back in the big box you can ask for it and a lot of them will not let you to us your on equipment capable of making two simultaneous copies and if you read up about this the Gov is looking at having all assessments recorded with video to. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,323 Disability Gamechanger
    They don't record a PIP assessment for you, even if you ask. The only option is to use your own recording equipment as CR has advised.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger

Guidance

PIP assessment guide part 1: the assessment process

Updated 5 November 2018

Audio recording of PIP consultations

1.6.56 The audio recording of face-to-face consultations is not currently part of the contractual specification for PIP assessments.

1.6.57 Claimants may use their own equipment to audio record their face-to-face consultation, should they wish to, subject to any reasonable conditions the DWP chooses to impose on such recordings. These reasonable conditions are:

• the claimant must inform the AP in advance that they wish to audio record their consultation. This is to allow the AP to ensure that the HP scheduled to carry out the consultation is willing to be recorded. If the HP is unwilling to be audio recorded, an alternative appointment should be made with an HP who is willing

• the claimant must be able to provide a complete and accurate copy of the audio recording to the HP at the end of the consultation. For this reason, certain devices that are capable of editing, real-time streaming or video recording the session are not approved. Non-approved devices include (but are not limited to) PCs, tablets, smart phones, MP3 players, smart watches, and devices that are not capable of providing a verifiable media copy that can be easily checked during the assessment. Acceptable formats for such recordings are restricted to CD and audio cassette only

• the claimant must sign a consent form in which they agree to provide a copy of the audio recording and not use the audio recording for unlawful purposes

1.6.58 APs must publicise these conditions and ideally include them in communications sent to claimants before they attend a face-to-face consultation.

1.6.59 Video recording of consultations is not permitted. This is to ensure the safety and privacy of staff and other claimants.

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Gerald
    They don't record a PIP assessment for you, even if you ask. The only option is to use your own recording equipment as CR has advised.
    Hi poppy123456  Then that's were the problem is then when i asked for it and was willing to do that with my own recording and was told that they are not willing to go with that after telling me on the phone they will do it with there recording equipment  
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Gerald said:
    OK on your form for PIP at the back in the big box you can ask for it and a lot of them will not let you to us your on equipment capable of making two simultaneous copies and if you read up about this the Gov is looking at having all assessments recorded with video to. 
    Not all! There are many claimants who would be to shy and traumatised to have to sit through a videoed assessment. There has to be a choice. Having a video of the assessment will not change what happens at the assessment. The assessor is allowed and able to draw conclusions from what you do say, do or don't say or don't do.

Very little will change whereas people are thinking that the assessment will be more on their side.

• Gerald
    But at the assessment and how the assessor draw there conclusions gets me as with my one with know mental health problems as can read a road sign and not the reports from my doctor as I have never know that if you can read a road sign as a test for that have you or is it just me that's not seen this as a test.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is useful. Is it possible to bookmark this or not? I insisted on recording the assessment for my own peace of mind. I decided to use my own recording equipment but was asked to turn one copy of it over to them which I did so. I made two copies of the assessment on my personal equipment. I did so with my son’s best interests at heart. 
  • Gerald
    Hi April2018mom if you look at the top of this page where the name of the post is there is a small gold star I think you click that.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.