Stopping DLA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stopping DLA

Options
Tricia1912
Tricia1912 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
 Tricia 1912.
HI After a long gap of being on forum. I have read and sympathised with people going through difficulties and now my turn. I got a letter from dwp saying stopping my DLA and l could apply for pip. I get DLA for a shoulder problem stopping me from cooking hot meals and preparing food. Also with dressing and bathing. I will be 68 in December so thought l was too old for pip as havnt worked for 15 years. I lost my job because had four ops on shoulder. Since this time l have had both hips replaced one twice, both feet, and having trouble with my knee in my spine  all due to arthritis but left their own problems.  I can’t walk very far l use a stick and trolley. I don’t have a support worker. So needing more help from my husband caring for me and also in the home shopping etc. Where do you think l stand getting pip. Any advise gratefully received. Tricia 1912

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

As you were under 65 on 8th April 2013 then unfortunately you're one of the ones that has to be transferred.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

No one can tell you if you'll successfully be awarded because it depends how your conditions affect you.
    When you ring to start your claim off you can ask for your DLA file to be used as evidence for the PIP claim.
    They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence and the onus is on you to make sure it's sent to support your claim.

Most people have face to face assessments so expect one of those.

When filling out the form make sure you put down as much information about how your conditions affect you. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Reading this guide will give you some understanding of the descriptors and what they mean.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi

As this is your change from DLA to PIP and you are past SRA please be aware that if mobility is a problem then this is the time that any mobility award will be set. What ever rate you accept now will continue while you meet the criteria but ifd you  are awarded standard or no mobility element then this cannot be increased in the future
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.