I'm looking for some assessment/benefit advice please! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm looking for some assessment/benefit advice please!

sezyboo
sezyboo Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi,
I'm looking for some assessment/benefit advice please!
I missed a few assessments due to my health (PTSD) Stress related (no warning) blackouts, struggle leaving house & many other problems!
My ESA & HB etc stopped, as they weren't happy with my reasons for missing them!
I appealed, mandatory reconsideration etc, lost! So it went to Tribunal (I didn't actually go to the Tribunal)  & I'm happy to report they were very much on my side & I received a letter today saying I've won!
My ESA stopped around 25th Jan 2019, I applied for Universal credit on the 4th March, apart from the 'loan' payment I took out, my 1st proper UC payment was £657.00 rent being £400.46 of that, leaving me £211 for a month?? I don't know how people cope, I'm struggling & I get PIP too!

My main questions are...
Will I get the ESA owed, back? Will it be up to the 1st proper UC payment?
Will they pay the housing benefit for that period as well, as I had to cover it? 
Does UC go up after the assessment (mine is tomorrow) if so roughly what would be the monthly payment?
I live alone (although often have Son or friend carer stay! I am 52! I don't see myself working in the future (although I'd love to do some volunteer work eventually) 
I think I've covered as much as I can!
I notice most comments are last year, I do hope someone is out there  :) 

Thanks in advance
Sez

Comments

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hi @sezyboo welcome to the community. I’m going to tag @Antonia_Scope to see if she can assist you.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @sezyboo welcome to the community, how are you doing today? Glad to hear you won, and sorry to hear what you have been going through. I believe so, but i will tag in @poppy123456 for advice and our other members may be able to answer your questions.

We have some volunteering opportunities here at Scope :) 
  • sezyboo
    Hi @Antonia_Scope
    Thank you very much :) 
    I'm so grateful for your help & looking forward to getting to know people :) x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019
    Hi,

For the ESA because you were found fit for work for failing to attend then the Tribunal will be because of this reason and not to place you in a group. As the Tribunal agreed that your reasons for not attending were valid reasons then your file will be returned to DWP.

You haven't actually been placed into a group, this is dependent on a face to face assessment and you won't be paid any backdated money until a decision's been made on the work capability assessment.

Once a decision is made i'm afraid you won't be paid any housing benefit from the time it stopped because you could have continued to claim housing benefit through nil income.

As you now have a UC work capability assessment then once a decision is made on that claim if you're given limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) then you'll receive the extra element in your monthly money £336 per month.

Unfortunately there are no premiums on UC because they don't exist and living alone doesn't entitle you to any extra money. Hope this helps. Good luck with the assessment tomorrow.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Look at those dates from when your ESA stopped to when you claim UC then there is no housing benefit to claim back, even if you could. Normally there is a 2 week run on of housing benefit when you claim UC but this payment would be deducted from your future UC payments. Then housing benefit transfers across to UC and becomes the housing element.

At the moment with UC your single person amount for over 25's is £251.77 per month then your housing element on top of this which will be for a 1 bedroom rate and you'll need to check what the rate is for your area and you can do that by checking here with your postcode for a 1 bedroom rate. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

Then add on the single person standard allowance as above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @sezyboo you're welcome. We look forward to seeing you on the community :)
  • Antonia_Alumni
  • poppy123456
    Anytime @Antonia_Scope :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team

At the moment with UC your single person amount for over 25's is £251.77 per month then your housing element on top of this which will be for a 1 bedroom rate and you'll need to check what the rate is for your area and you can do that by checking here with your postcode for a 1 bedroom rate. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

Just a small tweak to all of Poppy's brilliant advice, the under-25 rate is £251.77, the over-25 rate is £317.82. I think the lower amount in your UC is that you will unfortunately be paying back any advance. Do they cover your full rent amount?

Best of luck with your assessment today @sezyboo, please let us know how you get on. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • sezyboo
    Thank you @Adrian_Scope Yes @poppy123456 did give some brilliant advice!
    I am well over 25 haha, I am paying back around £50 a month for the advance!
    Yes I believe they do cover the full rent (always have had it all paid) although I will double check!
    Do you know what the full amount would be if I am 'very' successful in assessment & put into limited capability for work group?
    The amount, including the £317.82 rate?
    Thanks in advance
    Dreading assessment, just hoping I can make it there, my Daughter is taking me but my anxiety is through the roof, I'm beginning to panic! Ugh they are so unfair!
    I will let you know!
    Kind regards
    Sarah 
  • poppy123456
    It will be an extra £336.20 per month on top of what you're already claiming from the 4th month of your claim, if awarded limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Yep, as Poppy says, if awarded, you'll get an extra £336.20 in addition to your your housing element and your £317.82.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • sezyboo
    @poppy123456 & @Adrian_Scope  Thank you both so much for your help :) 
    I had the assessment Friday, my Daughter took me!
    I went in alone as I get embarrassed looking so weak in front of anyone.
    The nurse/Dr was lovely, she talked through all my problems,(mostly the PTSD & my daily life, but after a while said  "Ok I think I have all I need" I asked was she not going to write/talk about the severe IBS or the back pain (reason I'm on such strong meds) & few other things? reply.. "noo, I have all I need here. How did you find coming today?"  I replied, I was too scared not to after all that's happened, losing money etc...I showed her the Tribunal report, she read it, started typing some of it, then asked if I'd mind her copying it as it will help?
     Tribunal was completely in my favour, with my reasons for missing previous assessments!
    I guess I'll have to wait & see, I'm just praying it went well..
    I get full PIP due to med probs but may loose UC after assess?? , weird way to work....

Thanks again
    Kind regards
    Sarah
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hello @sezyboo, thank you for updating us!
    It sounds like the assessment wasn't too bad. I'm glad your daughter was able to take you to it for a bit of support. 

I understand your query regarding PIP and ESA/UC LCW. A lot of people wonder the same. The difference is that PIP is for anyone with a disability that requires extra care, even people that work full-time can be awarded PIP. ESA/UC LCW are awarded because that disability prevents or limits your capacity to work. So they're assessed differently.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • sezyboo
    Thanks for that @Adrian_Scope
    I didn't know that about PIP..

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.