FAMILY AND MWENTAL HEALTH — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

FAMILY AND MWENTAL HEALTH

charlie79
charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
As you all know in my previous posts which explain my mental issues and no ties with family due to abuse ect. I have recently contacted my sister which consists of brief calls on occasion. I am understanding why I broke all ties. My family does not believe in mental health, there only view is your totally crazy or sane... they put all the labels society gives us.

I find this really hard as my sister works in mental health as a qualified dementia nurse in which she has a BA honours for miss know it all . Also she is qualified in every way in the area of (UP HER OWN ****)

I AM FINDING IT DIFFICULT TO CONNECT WITH HER AFTER 20 YEARS OR FEEL I WANT TO REUNITE.

Has anyone else experienced this ….

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    Hi @charlie79 thank you for sharing this with us, I know it's not always easy to do. I am really sorry to hear about, what you have been through. I can understand why you are finding it difficult to reunite, 20 years is a long time. But with the right support hopefully your relationship can be mended, it may take time. A little step is better than none.

Have you considered family counselling, like Relate? I am hoping your sister will be willing to attend with you.

Best wishes,
    Antonia
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @charle79, how are you doing today? I'm so sorry you are struggling to connect, like Antonia said, 20 years is a long time and through small steps I hope you get there. Have you had a chance to look at the counselling? This may be a great way to talk things through in an open and safe space. Hope you have a lovely bank holiday weekend :)

Scope

Brightness