Moving — Scope | Disability forum


Chelsea100 Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all, I'm living in a council house waiting for a move will thus trigger a move on to universal credit l get ESA and pip with sdp I've heard so many stories people saying that l won't move other to uc because I get sdp how true is this ? Really don't want to be on uc thanks


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Chelsea100 and welcome

    At this moment in time you cannot claim UC if you are in receipt of SDP
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Chelsea100
    Chelsea100 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    That's good to know thankyou

  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    As CR says, you won't have to claim UC whilst you continue to meet the SDP conditions. These are getting a disability benefit (eg PIP daily living), no one gets carer's allowance, and you live alone (disregarding children, lodgers/joint tenants, people who are also on a disability benefit - these are the complicated bits of the rules but if you're living alone already, no need to worry about them). 

    If you still meet the SDP conditions when you move then your income-related ESA with the SDP will continue, and you'll be able to make a new claim for housing benefit, even if your new home is in a different local authority.

    If your new home is in the same local authority, you should be able to either get housing benefit even if you've never claimed before, or just alter any existing claim for housing benefit which you have now.

    The only reason you would need to claim UC would be if you had a change which meant you had to make new claims for benefit AND you lost your SDP (eg you started to live with another adult who wasn't on disability benefits).

    Hope this helps and that your move comes through soon.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Chelsea100
    Chelsea100 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you that has helped a lot feel less stress now x


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.