Severe Disability Premium on ESA - back payment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe Disability Premium on ESA - back payment

hancfree
hancfree Community member Posts: 1 Listener
HI all,
I just wondered if anyone could give me any advice. I have been claiming income related ESA for the past 3 years and Pip enhanced daily living for the past 2 years. It has only just been pointed out to me that I should be getting severe disability premium as I live alone and no one receives a carers allowance for me. I phoned DWP yesterday and they said oh yes you should be getting that we will sort it out for you. I had read the gov.uk advice before the phone call which is as follows:

You do not have to claim disability premium. If you’re eligible, it’s automatically added to your:

• Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • housing benefit
I then asked if I would be getting a back payment seeing as this is clearly an error and I should have been entitled to it for the past 2 years. I was told no you won't get a back payment because you should have applied for it. I just don't see how that works alongside the advice on the website. In the 2 years since i have been on PIP I have had changes of circumstances and a work capability assessment so surely this error should have been picked up. I also already get Enhanced disability premium which I'm also entitled to but I didn't have to apply for that. 
Sorry this is long but I am angry because I have been scraping by for 3 years now dealing with a range of ongoing health problems following a life threatening episode of sepsis and open heart surgery. All along I should have been entitled to more money and I feel that I should be entitled to a back payment now. It would make a huge difference to my life and would mean I could get the help that I need for ongoing problems. Does anyone have any experience with trying to claim a back payment? and if so do you have any advice for me? It would be very much appreciated.
Many Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

SDP isn't automatically awarded because of the criteria. I'm not sure why you were told it won't be backdated because that's not correct. You'll be backdated to the date you qualified.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hancfree and a very warm welcome to the community! I hope you're able to get the advice you are after :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.