Had good ESA WCA report - should I apply for higher rate PIP, am on DLA middle rate — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Had good ESA WCA report - should I apply for higher rate PIP, am on DLA middle rate

spb1612
spb1612 Community member Posts: 36 Connected
I had a good medical report following WCA assessment, I only get middle rate care DLA, I have always been wary applying for higher rate for which I qualify.

Since I got a good medical report following WCA assessment last month, would now be the right moment to apply for PIP?

I may be re-assessed by the same health professional. 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, in your opinion you qualify for high rate enhanced PIP. But as you must be aware DLA ans PIP use a different criteria for assessment DLA was is about your disability whereas PIP is about your abilities in relation to the PIP descriptors. So applying before you are invited to migrate over to PIP could go against you and you lose what you already have. 
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    I've spoken to people who thought they were entitled to the enhanced rate of PIP from the middle rate of DLA and have lost out.
    I waited untill I was invited to apply. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You definitely won't be assessed by the same person because ESA and PIP assessments are done by different health assessment providers.

Being entitled to ESA doesn't mean you'll be entitled to the mobility part of PIP because the criteria is different.

Transferring across before you're invited to apply is a big risk. At the moment you're being paid the DLA. There's so many people that lost everything when transferring across. My advice, is wait until you're invited.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Yeah I would wait as well, pip is different from dla.
  • spb1612
    spb1612 Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    It seems that you have to be a paraplegic to qualify for PIP.  My condition deteriorated considerably, with severe limbs and back pain which renders me unable to cope with daily chores like cooking and washing, since I was awarded middle rate DLA over 15 years ago. I am house bound most of the time depending on other to help me.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.