Medical assessment - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Medical assessment

Comments

• Threesticks
    Threesticks Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    cristobal said:
    @Threesticks - just a thought...would it be helpful to post your question about PIP/UC etc as a separate topic? 
    Yes, I'm sorry, I got a tad off topic here. Thanks for kicking my butt ;)  and getting me back on track.
    If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.
  • Threesticks
    ilovecats said:
    ilovecats said:
    ilovecats said:
    twonker said:
    cristobal said:
    My advice would be to be totally honest but think for a few seconds before answering just in case your answer might be misunderstood...

As you say, always be honest. You should not need to think for a few seconds before answering. how can the truth be misunderstood? And more to the point and if by thinking about your answer you will still give the same answer. Hesitation could be seen as deception, trying to think of an answer that you could get away with.

Driving most certainly has a direct connection to many physical and mental processes. 
    Having a pet animal may well suggest that you can look after it but you claim that you can't look after yourself.

Anyone who doesn't think about their answer is a fool. This can and does get used in a Court, if it goes that far. As for the Driving question, their answer to that is, you are coordinated and can follow a route. So your metal capacity is capable of conducting multi tasks. Pray tell what has that got to do with osteoarthritis ?

There are quite a few disabled drivers out there who manage quite well. I was marked down because I drive an Automatic car. To me, this is just another excuse to deliberately mark you down. I can't see how you can defend a very flawed and corrupt system, one that makes massive profits. I don't think anyone was suggesting not telling the truth. But that works both ways, they are not honest or truthful.   
    Cognitive ability aside, if you can drive an unadapted car, even an automatic then a certain level of grip, power, dexterity and power can be assumed. Getting in an out of a car also requires a certain level of physical ability.
    And that's exactly why I drive an Automatic 4x4. I don't have to bend down to get in. I just slide across the seat. I don't have to use my knees at, all brakes are assisted now. It's a misnomer and wrong to assume you can't drive, even with osteoarthritis. Unless, it's in your hands. That's the problem, Assumptions.  
    So you don’t have to move your right foot from the accelerator to brake? You don’t have to twist the steering wheel, turn behind you to look at the blind spot. So you just slide in, how do your legs get off the floor and intot the car, how do you turn in your seat to look in the mirrors. These are all things that every driver of an unadapted automatic car has to do.

I’m not saying driving a car automatically means you can walk, it does however lend itself to a certain level of ability when cooking washing and dressing. 

I have scored many people 1-20m (enhanced) for walking even if they drive. Normally for breathing related conditions but it is not just limited to that. Assessors do understand that many disabled people’s lifeline is their car however to score enhanced and therefore keep the car means a person has to be severely restricted. 20m is such a short distance to not be able to walk, therefore the level of disability is expected to be high to award it.
    Hmm, that's weird, my assessor told me she doesn't make the decisions on how many points I get and yet you do. Are you an assessor then ? As I said, this is the problem, Assumptions. I have many conditions, breathing related is one of them. You've assumed quite a lot there. How does an assessor understand in an forty to sixty minute assessment and out trump Dr's and Surgeons as in my case ?
    I used to be. I’ve been very transparent about that so when I give advice about what assessors look for you can be assured it is sound. I have not assumed anything. It is considered medically probably that someone who can drive as a certain level of physical movements. That is a fact. 

We don’t make decisions but we recommend descriptors which are associated to a certain amount of points. The case manager doesn’t not have to adhere to what we suggest but it’s a well known fact that the majority of time they do.
    Thank you for clarifying your point. I found many lies were told to me from by the company, the assessor allegedly worked for and from the assessor herself. One of which, she informed me quote " I work for the NHS " that confused me very much. I didn't say anything at the time, I just wanted to leave a quickly as possible, I hated every millisecond of it and it probably comes across. I apologize I don't mean to be rude.
    If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    No advice but good luck. The whole assessment process is convoluted and in need of a change. 
  • kim7171
    kim7171 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Can i just say about the driving i have a mobility car and my disability is my walking. So does this mean that i will be marked down because i drive?
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    It all depends on you disability. But my advise is think about you answer before you give it. Think about why they are asking that particular question. Like, " do you have a dog ? " who walks it ? " " Do you drive ? "  They tell you, it isn't to catch you out, it is, be mindful. Take a witness and get the witness to write everything down. You're not allowed to record without prior notice. But you can take notes. Best of luck.
    If the answer is yes, that they have a dog or they drive what are they supposed to say no when that would be untrue?
    If someone else walks it then yes is the answer to give. Always tell the truth.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    kim7171 said:
    Can i just say about the driving i have a mobility car and my disability is my walking. So does this mean that i will be marked down because i drive?
    But driving a car could very well in some circumstances show that you do have the use of your legs.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Hope your assessment goes well @kim7171
  • Threesticks
    It’s a shame people don’t use search function on this site.

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/56376/esa-medicals#latest
    I wasn't aware of Scope before my assessment and wasn't a member at that time. I thank you for the link and the information there in. It is most useful and wished I had read it last December, thanks again.
  • kim7171
    Hi everyone. Well had my assessment this morning... seamed to go well lady was really  nice..wether that changes with the report i dont know..  i was a wreck  ended up in tears a few times when i was asked how does it affect me emotionally as well physically and i was just compleatly honest and  told the truth which got a bit upsetting. Then at the end i was asked to do a few mobility tests..  put my arms up how far i could turn my head each side can i put my arms behind my back can i lean forward to pick something up even in a sitting position. And lastly can i move my legs out to the side without having to turn my body and stretch my legs out and circulate my feet..  all this was sitting in the chair.. i was asked how long i can stand in a still position before i had to sit or move about.  And that was all of it.. i was asked about my dogs and told her the truth that my family excercise them  but i wouldnt do without them as they are the reason i get up in a morning they are my companions  they help with the lonliness and depression without them i have no reason to get out off bed  and would feel more icalated and house bound and alone they keep me going when i feel the world closing in etc. And that was it all toom just over an hour and was told i would get a decition in abouy 6 weeks..
  • Threesticks
    edited April 2019
    I'm pleased it went well for you :) .
  • kim7171
    Thank you just hope the report does too.. 
  • Threesticks
    Is there any updates, @kim7171
  • kim7171
    Still waiting to hear something. Got a letter yesterday saying they have all the info they need so will let me know soon..
  • Threesticks
    Well at least you're on the path, so to speak. ;)
  • kim7171
    Well just got my PIP letter back and they have taken back my higher rate and put me down to the standard rate.. so now i have lost my mobility car.. what can i do? Does anyone know how i can apeal this? Please
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger

Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report ?
    The first stage of appeal is to ask for a mandatory reconsideration within 28 days of the date on your award letter. You should do so in writing giving 2-3 examples of what happens when you attempt each descriptor. If you have further relevant evience then you should also submit this now.

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    kim7171 said:
    Well just got my PIP letter back and they have taken back my higher rate and put me down to the standard rate.. so now i have lost my mobility car.. what can i do? Does anyone know how i can apeal this? Please
    Hi,

If you haven't already got a copy of the assessment report then ring DWP to request it to be sent to you.

You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR). You should put your request in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. You should avoid mentioning any lies that may have been told in the report because they won't be interested in any of those.

They will look at the whole award again and not just part of it.

Only 18% of MR decisions change so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kim7171
    I have scored 10 points out of 12 on my mobility walking etc it says that it has been note how bad it is. And also i got 9 points for all the other stuff like cooking etc so i dont understand why it has been put down 
  • kim7171
    I got a copy of points they game me and letter from asser on his findings and how he came to the decition
  • kim7171
    Sorry i ment i have the information in with the letter of the points i was given for each and the letter from the man whom decided and how he decided. So i have thatt
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.