PIP Appeal wait timescale - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Appeal wait timescale

13»

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @sassysailor and a very warm welcome to the community, it's nice to have you with us. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • sassysailor
    sassysailor Community member Posts: 8 Listener
  • cagsym
    cagsym Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Good Morning well my MP bought my case up in house of lords and Angela lesson sent him an email the day before she resigned ! I don't know how to share the email to show you the twaddle she replied back ! Let's just say good job she resigned does not have a clue how DWP work or PIP  still waiting for a tribunal date so angry that we have to be with out benefits while these so called professionals dither over our illness 
  • sassysailor
    cagsym said:
    Good Morning well my MP bought my case up in house of lords and Angela lesson sent him an email the day before she resigned ! I don't know how to share the email to show you the twaddle she replied back ! Let's just say good job she resigned does not have a clue how DWP work or PIP  still waiting for a tribunal date so angry that we have to be with out benefits while these so called professionals dither over our illness 
    It is appalling that our lives our in their hands constantly they've just stopped free school meals in my area... MPs spend more a month on eating out than my child's whole school eat in a school year!! The system is corrupt 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Sassy sailor, I suggest you don't tell DWP you think they are silly to award you mobility, or they might want to reassess you.
  • sassysailor
    Matilda said:
    Sassy sailor, I suggest you don't tell DWP you think they are silly to award you mobility, or they might want to reassess you.
    Well I wouldn't say that to them ? but if they think they can bribe me to go outside when I have serious post traumatic stress is a bit silly ??‍♀️
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger

Well I wouldn't say that to them ? but if they think they can bribe me to go outside when I have serious post traumatic stress is a bit silly ??‍♀️
    You're totally misunderstanding the award you have here. They are not bribing you to go out. You were awarded standard rate for following and planning a journey because your mental health prevents you from going out.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sassysailor
    Okay what I said was in jest, I'm really sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Okay what I said was in jest, I'm really sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying.
    No need to be sorry. It does sound strange to give a mobility award to a claimant that cannot go out. As Mike said you can use the award for any purpose,
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • sassysailor
    No need to be sorry. It does sound strange to give a mobility award to a claimant that cannot go out. As Mike said you can use the award for any purpose,
    Thank you the social worker/solicitor that's doing my claim for me said the same thing that she's never had someone be awarded it on its on straight away ??‍♀️ but I know nothing about it that's why I think it's important people spread word and get help with these things because if you don't know what you're doing you might not even know you can appeal these things x
  • Gerald
    Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Hi to everyone, appreciate this question may have been asked a thousand times already but here goes. 

My wife is disabled and has been waiting on an appeal time date for 29 weeks now and still we haven't heard anything, we've rang the appeals service but  they say they can't give a date when the appeal will be heard.

We are struggling financially and she has had a lot of hospital appointments lately, these hospital appointments all entail a round trip of 130 miles and the constant worry about the PIP appeal and the possible outcome is adding to her ill health.

Any pointers on how long the maximum waiting times for an appeal to be heard would be gratefully received.

Just for Info purposes,  she was initially on DLA and was transferred to PIP and had been on it for  3 years, in April last year she was assessed by a nurse from Atos and went from previously been awarded Enhanced Daily Living/Standard Mobility Component to zero points.  
    Well ataloss2018 the time I had from my M.R. to tribunal was 19 months its a joke how there is know time limit for it.
  • davedj44
    davedj44 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    No good news really. I've just got my appeal date. It's taken 52 weeks. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    71% of appeals win.  It's worth the wait.
  • Dumpling
    Dumpling Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    I have my appeal on 7th June. I had waited a year. 
  • festigirl
    festigirl Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi all, new on here, I would like to know if it’s wise to have a hearing by paper, my son whose pip we are fighting for is at the moment in a hospital in Norwich a unit for eating disorders and mental Health and has been for 12 wks. I just sent evidence of this and have now had an email asking when his discharge date will be and if we would like a non attending hearing. I can’t give a discharge date and the hearing will be in Truro so a major journey as in application that’s where my son was. We are now at 43 wks so could get a date soon, any advice please would be gratefully received.
  • poppy123456
    festigirl said:
    Hi all, new on here, I would like to know if it’s wise to have a hearing by paper, my son whose pip we are fighting for is at the moment in a hospital in Norwich a unit for eating disorders and mental Health and has been for 12 wks. I just sent evidence of this and have now had an email asking when his discharge date will be and if we would like a non attending hearing. I can’t give a discharge date and the hearing will be in Truro so a major journey as in application that’s where my son was. We are now at 43 wks so could get a date soon, any advice please would be gratefully received.
    Hi,

Paper based hearings have a considerably less chance of success than oral hearings. Only 5-8% of paper based hearings succeed, against 74% of those that appear in person.

Are you his appointee? If so then have you asked HMCTS if you can appear in person for your son? This maybe an option because of him being in hospital. I would contact them to ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • festigirl
    festigirl Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi and thanks for such a quick reply, I am his appointee and have said that should my son still be in the unit I would represent him as I’m already registered as his representative on all documents, they said they would expect to see the appellant at his own tribunal, I explained that when phoning the contact number on the tribunals letter I was told categorically that I could go and represent my son without actually informing the tribunal, apparently this is incorrect and it was very lucky this Came to light after sending evidence. I’m not keen on a paper tribunal for fear of him loosing yet what are you supposed to do when odds are stacked against you
  • poppy123456
    It's a very difficult decision to make. Whether or not a decision will go in his favour with a paper based decision will totally depend on how his case was presented. Lots of areas have backlogs in excess of 1 year, if this is your area then you still have a while to go yet. If you do have a date soon, then good luck what ever you decide.
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    If you get one in 32 weeks I would say thats quite quick for the tribunal service,

I have had 2 tribunals personally.

The first took nearly 22 months for a hearing.
    The second was a quicker one but still a 19 month wait, (including adjournment.)

When I did work for a charity that did tribunal work, I think the quickest I had ever seen was just under a year.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.