ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA

sheZZa
sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
Serves me right for jumping the gun lol. I’m waiting to hear from DWP re: my award after my assessment which I’m expecting to receive at any time. Yesterday I had a letter from ESA saying how much money I would receive every week. I also received a letter stating that I as I was on Standard or Enhanced Disability I might be entitled to carer’s allowance and I was required to complete a form asking if I received Carer’s Allowance etc. I’ve filled it out and sent it off today wondering if maybe my PIP award has gone in my favour. Today I have received a form from ESA re: assessment to see if I’m fit for work. I can’t remember ever having to do this before but my memory isn’t good and maybe I have. I am aware that people do go for assessments for ESA. It doesn’t have to be returned until 3rd July so I’m going to leave it a week until I tackle it as usually I panic and send it in straight away and make mistakes. I’m going to take my time in this one. That’ll teach me lol xx

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You can't claim carers allowance for yourself. If you live alone or classed as living alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you. Then the letter you received was most likely about the severe disability premium, this is paid on top of your ESA if you're eligible.

It's possible the PIP award has gone in your favour because for the SDP you also need a daily living award of PIP.

The ESA work capability assessment form you received is pure coincidence and not related to the PIP assessment you had. You can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months for ESA. If you haven't been contacted and re-assessed for quite a while then that will be the reason. A couple of years ago i received a PIP review form and ESA50 form within 1 week of each other.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Riamia70
    Riamia70 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Got my interview in a couple of weeks - not looking forward to it after reading stuff online about other people’s interviews and how they lie about what you have actually told them (they write something different to what you tell them)?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Riamia70 said:
    Got my interview in a couple of weeks - not looking forward to it after reading stuff online about other people’s interviews and how they lie about what you have actually told them (they write something different to what you tell them)?
    Hi @Riamia70 and welcome

Despite the horror stories that you have read on line, the majority of awards are made first time, without incident but these claims are seldom shared
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • sheZZa
    @poppy123456
    I’ve never claimed carer’s allowance. My son lives with me so he cares for me, that is until he buys a house and moves out. My mum cares for me too but she is nearly 86 and it’s getting to much for her even though she won’t admit it. 
    Mill fill out the esa form in a few days and will check online for guidance first.
  • sheZZa
    @CockneyRebel
    i was awarded my first claim with no hassle. My assessment was very good and carried out by a lovely lady. I have told people this but I’ve had no response. In fact I wasn’t aware of all these issues until a year or so ago. My assessment this time was horrendous. It was more like an interrogation. The assessor was awful. My friend had the same assessor and her daughter wrote a letter of complaint to ATOS. She’s still waiting for a reply and this was last year. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    sheZZa said:
    @poppy123456
    I’ve never claimed carer’s allowance. My son lives with me so he cares for me, that is until he buys a house and moves out. My mum cares for me too but she is nearly 86 and it’s getting to much for her even though she won’t admit it. 
    Mill fill out the esa form in a few days and will check online for guidance first.
    As you live with your son, unless you claim child benefit for him or he claims a qualifying benefit such as mid/high rate care DLA or daily living PIP then you won't qualify for the SDP. See link for eligibility criteria for the SDP. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sheZZa
    @poppy123456
    Thank you. i don’t claim anything for him. He works full time and is not disabled etc. so wouldn’t get anything anyway.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Riamia70 and a warm welcome to the community. :)

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry to much about the assessment, you will always read more negative stories online than anything else as people tend to only post when they're looking for help or have had a bad experience. As CockyRebel stated, the majority of awards are made first time. 

Best of luck and please let us know how you get on. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.