genetic condition and work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

genetic condition and work

Options
shambam
shambam Community member Posts: 2 Connected
edited June 2019 in Work and employment
hello!
I’m 46, female and I have a genetic condition which presents all kinds of problems.  For the last 10 years I’ve known that I have multi-level DDD which has got worse.  I have finally begun to accept my limitations. Feeling quite miserable about it at the moment as I found my perfect job three years ago but cannot see a way of continuing. 
Now waiting to see if the pain clinic can do anything for me. 

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community @shambam how are you doing today? 

I am sorry to hear this, it can be tough dealing with a health condition and work. Please do not feel alone in feeling this way, as many of our members will relate to you. Have you considered reasonable adjustments at work? 

I hope the pain clinic will be helpful. Please keep us updated :)
  • shambam
    shambam Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    Hi Antonia, 
    Thank you for welcoming me.  
    I have thought about reasonable adjustments. My tasks are quite varied at work so one area would be possible, others not possible. We are a team of two who run a very small charity and do everything between us. Nevertheless, it’s worth a try! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @shambam and welcome to the community! Reasonable adjustments may be a good route to go down. Have you spoken to the other person you work with? I really hope you can make things work :)
    Scope

Brightness