Daughter can claim carers allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Daughter can claim carers allowance?

dean255
dean255 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
hi, was trying to find out if my daughter can claim Carers Allowance would it affect my wife’s universe credit.shes on pip and limited capability for work and work related activities,I work full time and earn to much to claim but if my daughter who turns 16 next month claims will the stop any other entitlement from universal credit like stopping limited capability for work element,thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    Hi,

If your daughter is still in full time education then she won't be able to claim carers allowance. See link.

Also as you're both claiming Universal credit as a couple then you can claim the Carers element providing you care for your wife for at least 35 hours per week and she claims the daily living PIP (not mobility part).  There's no limits to what you can earn while claiming this and you don't need to claim carers allowance to be eligible either. It's £160.20 extra per month.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dean255
    Daughter be leaving full time education in July. We claim as a couple and she gets £336.20 a month limited capability for work element so that does not effect whether my daughter or I claim Caress allowance. She gets the pip living allowance but would I also lose council tax element as I had a reduction because of her disability, thanks again.
  • poppy123456
    Yes, you claim UC as couple because it's a means tested benefit. You can't claim carers allowance  for yourself because you work full time but as i advised you can claim the carers element for yourself and this will give you an extra £160.20 per month. You don't need to claim carers allowance to claim this element. You just need to update your UC journal that you care for your wife for at least 35 hours per week.

It wouldn't affect the council tax reduction you have because you claim that for your wife's disability.

The carers element and carers allowance are different. Please read the link i posted above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • dean255
    Ok thanks for you help,much appreciate.
  • poppy123456
    I have no idea where you live but if you live in England then education rules are different there to what they are in Scotland and Wales. For those living in England you must do the following until you reach 18 years old.

You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:

• stay in full-time education, for example at a college
    • start an apprenticeship or traineeship
    • spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training
    https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

• dean255
    Live in wales, daughter doesn’t want to stay on , she can’t claim anything in till she’s 18, not many jobs around for someone her age, thanks.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @dean255 and welcome to the community. :) I'm glad @poppy123456 has managed to help you with your queries.
    Per the link provided, your daughter can claim Carer's Allowance from age 16. She would then be classed as a non-dependant. You shouldn't have a non-dependant deduction as she won't have any earned income, however I believe you would lose the child element for your daughter from your UC claim. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.