How am i entitled (ON PIP high care and just started UC) Severe disability element? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How am i entitled (ON PIP high care and just started UC) Severe disability element?

jedimafia
jedimafia Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Been in prison sadly so no esa just pip.  What do i claim for now i've started my UC claim is there a severe disability elemenent i can now ask for i'm confused or must I apply seperately for a carers allowance?  Can it be paid to me?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jedimafia and welcome

Alas there is no SDP payable with UC and you cannot claim carers for your self
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • jedimafia
    jedimafia Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    So once my UC has gone through can I apply straight away and with whom or must I wait even though I got the PIP HR? I do have someone who I can assign as my carer be easier i guess, she does everything I struggle with.  She was going to go on my council house application so eventually we can be housed together "as friends" as its impossible on my own and I dont trust many people, so government carers would be problematic

It's a seperate benefit now, is that right?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    jedimafia said:
    So once my UC has gone through can I apply straight away and with whom or must I wait even though I got the PIP HR? I do have someone who I can assign as my carer be easier i guess, she does everything I struggle with.  She was going to go on my council house application so eventually we can be housed together "as friends" as its impossible on my own and I dont trust many people, so government carers would be problematic

It's a seperate benefit now, is that right?
    You are misunderstanding the carers allowance. You can't claim this yourself. Your carer has to apply for this and they will receive the carers allowance money, not you. You must also be claiming daily living award of PIP.

Whether or not they're entitled to claim it will depend on what benefits they claim, if any or whether they are working. If they work then they mustn't be earning anymore than £123 per week after deductions. Please look at this link. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

You should both get some face to face advice about what benefits can be claimed. Your local CAB or welfare rights is the best place to go.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    There's a lot of other things to think about here too. If you're going to live together then i'm assuming you'll be renting. If you're both going to be claiming help for the rent then you'll both need have a tenancy agreement so you can both pay half. If this happens and your carer is claiming benefits herself then this could mean your carer will have to make a claim for UC as well but this will depend on her circumstances.

There's far too much advice to give on an internet forum and it's even more important that you both get face to face advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.