I have Autism, Told to claim PIP but been denied. Now what? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have Autism, Told to claim PIP but been denied. Now what?

a_man_with_autism
a_man_with_autism Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I'm a 40 year old man who has only been diagnosed with Autism at the beginning of this year (Kinda happy that I can put a name to something because I have struggled all my life) I also have suffered with depression the whole of my adult life and was advised I should claim PIP. I started a claim on 07/02/19. I had my assessment that was 20 miles away from where I lived about a month ago. Today (11/06/19) I got a letter in the post saying I can't have PIP and I only scored 4 point out of 84 that i could score. Now i'm wondering what I should do next. The letter says I can appeal this and I fully intend to because I need this PIP. I don't claim for anything else, I don't work, I don't go out, I don't have friends but i'm very much willing to change this because I can't carry on living the way I am and PIP was my only chance of changing my life. (I need PIP so I can afford to travel to Autism support groups and, to live and to help me live with Autism)

So my question is what can I do (as in the right way to go about it) to change this decision for my PIP claim so I can at least improve my life and get the help I want and need

Thank you for reading

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,354 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory reconsideration. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Any relevant evidence you have should be sent to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this. The onus is on you to made sure it's sent.

Most MR decisions remain the same so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

I'd advise you to get some help with face to face advice from either welfare rights, a law centre or CAB near you. This link will help you find what's local to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • a_man_with_autism
    Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory reconsideration. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Any relevant evidence you have should be sent to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this. The onus is on you to made sure it's sent.

Most MR decisions remain the same so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

I'd advise you to get some help with face to face advice from either welfare rights, a law centre or CAB near you. This link will help you find what's local to you.

Well it affects me a lot because I don't have a job, I don't have any friends and I very much don't have a life at all. I don't want to go into too much info about my Autism in such a public place but it affects me enough that I was advised to claim it. It would be hard for me to put it into writing. My assessment felt wrong in a way because I got there (thanks to my other half parents giving me a life in their car) that when I got into the room he said my evidence was that good that he already started to fill out what he needed to and in total I was there for 20 minutes. He was confident I would get it because of my evidence  but today  find out that wasn't the case
  • a_man_with_autism
    I'm not very good with taking about myself and having Autism hasn't really sank in yet, I guess i'm still in denial about it and all this I don't need. If I can't get PIP then I can't help myself and its gotten to the point where if I don't help myself then there isn't really any point in anything else. Sounds depressing I know but its the truth
  • poppy123456
    PIP isn't about not being able to work. Have you requested a copy of the assessment report? If you haven't then ring DWP to request it. Do be aware of the 1 month time frame for requesting the MR.

Have a read of this link, it will give you a better understanding of the descriptors, what they mean and the criteria.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • a_man_with_autism
    PIP isn't about not being able to work. Have you requested a copy of the assessment report? If you haven't then ring DWP to request it. Do be aware of the 1 month time frame for requesting the MR.

Have a read of this link, it will give you a better understanding of the descriptors, what they mean and the criteria.

Thanks but that looks like way too much information for me to take in. What other options do I have?
  • poppy123456
    You really do need some face to face advice from an agency near you. Have a look at the first link i posted, put your postcode in there and it will tell you what's available in your area for help and support with the MR and Tribunal.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @a_man_with_autism

Just to clarify, this is not an advice line for claimants, but a supportive community, for those who need support and guidance.

You may wish to seek direct advice, from a welfare rights officer, as my trusted friend @poppy123456 has previously suggested.

Might I respectfully suggest, that you seek the wise council of MENCAP via, their helpline.

If we can be of any further assistance, we would be more willing to help you, so please keep in touch.

With best wishes.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.