Wrongly taken money from last months payment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wrongly taken money from last months payment

AWilson198911
AWilson198911 Community member Posts: 27 Listener
universal credit deducted more than 70% of my last months money, this was not a sanction but more to claim back an advance , I was under the impression that they could only take upto 40% , I have received the 35% but this has left me in financial hardship now due to direct debits bouncing etc , I have put a complaint in but have yet to hear anything , Do I stand a good chance to get compensated from the DWP as the call handler doesn’t believe so .

thanks

Antony  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I don't know about compensation and i wouldn't hold your hopes out for that,  but you have a good cause to argue with the amount they took back because it's maximum 40%. See link. . http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/ask-cpag-online-how-do-you-repay-universal-credit-advance

You need to contact DWP and tell them that this has put you under financial hardship.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AWilson198911
    I have complained to them but the team leader is off for a week now and he is the only one who can deal with it . I have numerous direct debits which subsequently bounced because of this and have been charged over £100 for direct debit failures and late payment fees . Very unfair when it was a mistake from themselves . I am still being charged daily because of a mistake that the dwp made 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello I feel as many others will agree that the DWP has taken more than the permitted allowed amount besides leaving you in financial hardship had they withheld the correct amount you  although in hardship would not be incurring the extra bank charges and returned direct debit payments, only you know this exact amount needed to avoid the extra payments and had the DWP payed the correct amount although less than normal and you would not have incurred the extra bank charges then the DWP should make up the difference if you can produce this then you could should be onto a winner. Good luck and keep us updated. 
  • AWilson198911
    Rang today and was passed from pillar to post , Hopefully the team leader will get back to me this week and offer me a resolution .

Thanks
    Antony 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.