moving and universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

moving and universal credit

JanetPrice90JanetPri
JanetPrice90JanetPri Community member Posts: 7 Listener
It's time to move on. My autistic son with learning difficulties is able to learn to live alone and needs to be independent for his own good, also I should be doing more with my life than taking him to Chessington and footy.
He has no motivation to do unnecessary activity, but was happier and more confident when he was at college.
Would he lose his DLA and ESA and have to wrestle helplessly with universal credit and PIP if I sold up in London and got us a small place each? 
Nicer problems to have, I know, but I'm on the autistic spectrum too, a bit, and suffer anxiety and mild depression so can't afford to take massive risks. This has to be safe.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

There's a lot to consider here and because we don't know all of your circumstances then you need to get some face to face advice from and agency near you. This link will help you find what's in your area. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JanetPrice90JanetPri
    That's reassuring. I think maybe a bit of life coaching generally, I'm about to start tai chi and lots of running. I'm glad it's not instant zero benefits! 
  • JanetPrice90JanetPri
    Thanks for the link I will follow that up.
  • poppy123456
    Depending on which benefits you claim then selling your home and buying a home for your son could be an issue if you're claiming means tested benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • JanetPrice90JanetPri
    Yes. 
    I was working part-time self employed earning pa £5000 and expected to pay £2000 council tax because it was govt policy to challenge all claims, in around 2006, the only way out at the time was to claim income support.
    I am hoping for other people's experience because of the difference between theory and practice.
    I'm currently watching the parliamentary channel  "domestic abuse and homelessness committee". I'm aware things could be worse. 

• poppy123456
    Selling your house and buying another for yourself, will be fine but buying one for your son will be a problem. This is because you're claiming Income Support which is means tested. Any savings you have of £16,000 and over will stop all means tested benefits. Giving money away or buying a house for your son will be classed as deprivation of capital and you'll still be classed as having the money for means tested benefits.

Expert face to face advice is definitely needed here.
  • JanetPrice90JanetPri
    Thanks for the interest. 
    I'm really only after the answer to the original question, and from other peoples actual experience.

• poppy123456
    Your original question was answered. It won't prompt a move to UC unless a claim for housing benefit is needed. It will just be a change of address.

For the DLA as this no longer exists then he'll soon be invited to apply for PIP. Moving house won't prompt a move to PIP either and if he is contacted after moving then it will be a coincidence.

Renting from a family member is possible and people do, do this and claim for help with the rent but you'll have to show that the tenancy is a commercial one rather than an informal family arrangement. However, my advice about buying 2 houses is correct.
  • JanetPrice90JanetPri
    Thanks, that has been a great help! I'm so relieved we're not trapped here.
    I will call and make appointments tomorrow.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JanetPrice90JanetPri, I hope the call goes well and that you were able to make an appointment.
    Thank you @poppy123456 for answering this :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.