How do I found voluntary work? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I found voluntary work?

kopite1
kopite1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited July 2019 in Work and employment
Hi all, I haven't posted much since I joined, because I've been suffering with my symptoms. For the past 6 or so months I have been trying to find voluntary work, using a government agency, they've been slowing the process so much so I been put in a depressive state. Because I have 3 illnesses which are inextricably connected, ankylosing spondolitis, brain stem damage and c-ptsd, it's difficult to find appropriate suitable voluntary work without help. Maximus who were supposed to help have slowed down my progress, I have experience working in A and E have experience in the building trade and retail yet maximus have for the past 6 months prevented me moving forward. Is there any organisation I can contact that could help me in finding suitable voluntary work? It would help enormously to be able to utilise my abilities, thank you.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kopite1, welcome to the community! I think it's great that you are wanting to volunteer! I hope the community is able to help you soon :)
    Scope

• Imogen_Steele
    Imogen_Steele Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Hi @kopite1, welcome to the community. I don’t know if this is the type of volunteer work you are after, but have you thought about volunteering in one of the National Trust gift shops, or for that matter any museum gift shop? I have volunteered with the National trust and they have been very accommodating.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What about volunteering?
    The National Trust is always looking for volunteers. Or you could contact Scope to see if they have any vacancies. Do you have a resume or not? The Internet is a good source of information but be careful if you are not using reliable sites. Have you checked your local paper? Often there are a limited number of vacancies in there. What skills do you have? Make sure to read the job description carefully. Sometimes companies advertise their vacancies on their website. Do you have any contacts? Pay attention when out and about too. 
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Hi @kopite1 You can search our volunteer opportunities. Hope you find something that suits! Best wishes, Alex
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hi @inspire welcome to the community.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Hi, welcome.   Lots of people  could help in shops, but your experience in A  and E must give you a unique  selling point as a volunteer.  Either in a hospital or elsewhere,  an extra person will be valuable.   

One thing I noted in U.K. and Ireland was that those without visitors are often without food, and without a kind word, and without  anyone to stand up for them, and without even a simple thing like a newspaper, if they're unable to get out of bed and down to the shop.

There are no hospital shop trolleys, and no ward volunteers, and no option to buy acceptable food at any cost, if the 'free pigswill' is unacceptable  (70% is thrown away, but there are N O systems for the millions who live alone, without any visiting relatives ). 

• kopite
    kopite Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I was being given help by maximus a government agency which was supposed to sort out my options because I have mental health problems but for 6 months they have delayed any progress, I will check national trust and scope as I have worked in retail when I was younger, thank you all for your help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Good luck @kopite. Please let us know how you get on. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope it goes well @kopite! :)
    Scope

Brightness