My carer — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My carer

Options
Lorraine2000
Lorraine2000 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi i care fir my sister and revieve carers allowance i have started PIP and have been told i can get a carer for myself can i have a carer and still care for my sister
Many thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

For someone to claim carers allowance for looking after you, you need a daily living award of PIP. If you eventually receive this then yes someone maybe able to claim this for you but it will of course depend on their circumstances.

If you claim Income Related ESA,JSA or Income support and you live alone or classed as living alone. A daily living award of PIP will entitle you to claim severe disability premium but someone claiming carers allowance for you will mean you won't be able to claim this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Lorraine2000
    I hope Poppy has been able to answer all of your questions regarding PIP and Carer's Allowance but if there's anything you're unclear of or if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lorraine2000
    Options
    Hi Adrian
    Thank you for your message
    I am not sure if i made my wuestion clear
    I have fibromyalgia  and have been awarded low rate PIP
    I am a carer for my sister who lives with me and receive  carers allowance for looking after her. My q6 year old son does so many things for me and csn claim carers allowance for caring for me. Does this mean if he claoms carers allowance for me i can't carry on receiving csrers allowance  for caring for my sister as our needs are so different i can care for her but certain ghings i cant do for myself everyday  this is why they have saud i qualufy to have a carer ?
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Someone else claiming carers allowance for you won't affect you claiming it for your sister. Hope this answers your question.

If your son is a full time student then he won't be able to claim carers allowance for looking after you. Sorry but i can't quite make out the age of your son.

However, can i just ask does your son live with you? Or is it just your sister and yourself? If so what other benefits do you receive please?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Lorraine2000
    Options
    Hi Poppy
    My son is starting college in September he is 16
    Mh sister lives here with my husband Son and myself we claim working tax credit but nothing else apart from my sister receives  her disability  living  allowance.  My PIP  and carer allowance  for my sistet
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm afraid your son will not be able to claim carers allowance for looking after you because he's a full time student, and full time students can't claim carers allowance.  Please see link for eligibility. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

As your son is remaining in full time no advanced education then the benefits you claim for him will continue but you need to tell HMRC and child benefit.

If you're claiming the Enhanced daily living part of PIP then your husband will be able to claim the severe disabled element of working tax credits on your behalf. Unfortunately, if you're claiming just the standard daily living then this won't qualify him to claim this element on your behalf.

Hope this answers your questions.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Lorraine2000.
    Just to clarify Poppy's answer, your son could claim carer's allowance for you if he wasn't going back in to full-time education, as you can both be a carer and need a carer. So this wouldn't make any difference to you claiming carer's allowance for your sister. 
    However, as he is remaining in full-time education, he is not able to claim carer's allowance. 

I hope that helps but if you do still have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.